"If you do not want to get pregnant, there are many birth control options to choose from. No one product is best for everyone. The only sure way to avoid pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections (STIs or STDs) is not to have any sexual"...
There have been no reports of serious ill effects from overdose of CHCs. Overdosage may cause withdrawal bleeding in females and nausea. If the ring breaks, it does not release a higher dose of hormones. In case of suspected overdose, all NuvaRing rings should be removed and symptomatic treatment given.
Do not prescribe NuvaRing to women who are known to have the following:
- A high risk of arterial or venous thrombotic diseases.
Examples include women who are known to:
- Smoke, if over age 35 [see BOXED WARNING and WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism, now or in the past [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have cerebrovascular disease [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have coronary artery disease [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have thrombogenic valvular or thrombogenic rhythm diseases of the heart (for example, subacute bacterial endocarditis with valvular disease, or atrial fibrillation) [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have inherited or acquired hypercoagulopathies [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have uncontrolled hypertension [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have diabetes mellitus with vascular disease [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Have headaches with focal neurological symptoms or
migraine headaches with aura [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Women over age 35 with any migraine headaches [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Liver tumors, benign or malignant or liver disease [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use In Specific Populations]
- Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Pregnancy, because there is no reason to use CHCs during pregnancy [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS and Use in Specific Populations]
- Breast cancer or other estrogen-or progestin-sensitive cancer, now or in the past [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS]
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of NuvaRing [see ADVERSE REACTIONS]
Last reviewed on RxList: 10/18/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional NuvaRing Information
NuvaRing - User Reviews
NuvaRing User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.