"Nov. 20, 2012 -- Oral contraceptives should be made available without a prescription to reduce unintended pregnancies, according to a newly published opinion by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).
NuvaRing Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: NuvaRing
Generic Name: ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel (vaginal ring) (Pronunciation: ETH in il es tra DYE ole and et oh noe JES trel)
- What is ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel (NuvaRing)?
- What are the possible side effects of this medication (NuvaRing)?
- What is the most important information I should know about this medication (NuvaRing)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using this medication (NuvaRing)?
- How should I use this medication (NuvaRing)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (NuvaRing)?
- What happens if I overdose (NuvaRing)?
- What should I avoid while using this medication (NuvaRing)?
- What other drugs will affect ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel (NuvaRing)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel (NuvaRing)?
Ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel contains female hormones that prevent ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.
Ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel vaginal ring is used as contraception to prevent pregnancy.
Ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of this medication (NuvaRing)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden and severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling;
- sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood;
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs;
- a change in the pattern or severity of migraine headaches;
- nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet;
- a breast lump; or
- symptoms of depression (sleep problems, weakness, tired feeling, mood changes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps, changes in weight or appetite;
- breast pain, tenderness, or swelling;
- headache, nervousness, dizziness, tired feeling;
- freckles or darkening of facial skin, increased hair growth, loss of scalp hair;
- problems with contact lenses; or
- vaginal itching or discharge, changes in your menstrual periods, decreased sex drive.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the NuvaRing (etonogestrel, ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about this medication (NuvaRing)?
Do not use this medication if you are pregnant or if you have recently had a baby.
You should not use this medication if you have any of the following conditions: uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart disease, a blood-clotting disorder, circulation problems, diabetic problems with your eyes or kidneys, unusual vaginal bleeding, liver disease or liver cancer, severe migraine headaches, if you smoke and are over 35, or if you have ever had breast or uterine cancer, jaundice caused by birth control pills, a heart attack, a stroke, or a blood clot.
You may need to use back up birth control, such as condoms or a spermicide, when you first start using this medication or if you miss a dose. Avoid using a diaphragm with the ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel vaginal ring. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Smoking can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, or heart attack caused by this medication, especially if you are older than 35.
Additional NuvaRing Information
NuvaRing - User Reviews
NuvaRing User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.