"Sleep is important for people of all ages to stay in good health. Read more to learn how much sleep your body needs.
How you feel and perform during the day is related to how much sleep you get the night before. If sleepiness interfer"...
Nuvigil Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What are the possible side effects of armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- How should I take armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Nuvigil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Nuvigil)?
- What should I avoid while taking armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What other drugs will affect armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to armodafinil or modafinil (Provigil).
To make sure you can safely take armodafinil, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- cirrhosis or other liver problem;
- kidney disease;
- a heart muscle or valve disorder such as mitral valve prolapse;
- a history of mental illness;
- a history of drug or alcohol addiction;
- heart disease or high blood pressure;
- if you have recently had a heart attack.
Skin rashes serious enough to require hospitalization have occurred in people using a medicine similar to armodafinil. These rashes usually occurred within 1 to 5 weeks after the first dose.
Stop taking armodafinil and call your doctor at the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how minor you think it might be.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether armodafinil will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
Armodafinil can make certain types of birth control less effective for as long as a month after you stop taking armodafinil. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking armodafinil.
It is not known whether armodafinil passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Do not give armodafinil to anyone younger than 17 years old.
How should I take armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
Take exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
This medication comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Armodafinil is usually given for up to 12 weeks. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Armodafinil is usually taken each morning to prevent daytime sleepiness, or 1 hour before the start of a work shift to treat work-time sleep disorders.
If you are taking armodafinil to treat sleepiness caused by obstructive sleep apnea, you may also be treated with a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. This machine is an air pump connected to mask that gently blows pressurized air into your nose while you sleep. The pump does not breathe for you, but the gentle force of air helps keep your airway open to prevent obstruction.
Do not stop using your CPAP machine during sleep unless your doctor tells you to. The combination of treatment with CPAP and armodafinil may be necessary to best treat your condition.
Armodafinil will not cure obstructive sleep apnea or treat its underlying causes. Follow your doctor's instructions about all your other treatments for this disorder.
Taking this medication does not take the place of getting enough sleep. Talk with your doctor if you continue to have excessive sleepiness even while taking armodafinil.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Nuvigil Information
- Nuvigil Drug Interactions Center: armodafinil oral
- Nuvigil Side Effects Center
- Nuvigil Overview including Precautions
- Nuvigil FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Nuvigil - User Reviews
Nuvigil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips for better sleep.