"March 1, 2013 -- Sleeping fewer than six hours for several nights in a row affects hundreds of genes responsible for keeping us in good health, says a new study.
Research led by the U.K.'s Surrey Sleep Research Centre found that peopl"...
Nuvigil Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Nuvigil
Generic Name: armodafinil (Pronunciation: ar moe DAF i nil)
- What is armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What are the possible side effects of armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What is the most important information I should know about armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before taking armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- How should I take armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Nuvigil)?
- What happens if I overdose (Nuvigil)?
- What should I avoid while taking armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- What other drugs will affect armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
Armodafinil is a medication that promotes wakefulness.
Armodafinil is used to treat excessive sleepiness caused by sleep apnea, narcolepsy, or shift work sleep disorder.
Armodafinil may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using armodafinil and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- the first sign of any type of skin rash, no matter how mild;
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- mouth sores, trouble swallowing;
- upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- depression, confusion, hallucinations, aggression, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- chest pain, uneven heart beats.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- feeling nervous or anxious;
- nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach;
- trouble sleeping (insomnia); or
- dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Nuvigil (armodafinil) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about armodafinil (Nuvigil)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to armodafinil or modafinil (Provigil).
Before using armodafinil, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, heart disease or high blood pressure, a heart valve disorder, a history of mental illness, a history of drug or alcohol addiction, or if you have recently had a heart attack.
Armodafinil may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Avoid other dangerous activity until you know how this medication will affect your level of wakefulness.
Stop taking armodafinil and call your doctor if you have a skin rash, no matter how mild. A medicine similar to armodafinil has caused severe skin reactions serious enough to require hospitalization. Other signs of a severe reaction include fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash.
There may be other drugs that can interact with armodafinil. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Additional Nuvigil Information
- Nuvigil Drug Interactions Center: armodafinil oral
- Nuvigil Side Effects Center
- Nuvigil Overview including Precautions
- Nuvigil FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Nuvigil - User Reviews
Nuvigil User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips for better sleep.