"Feb. 25, 2013 (San Antonio, Texas) -- The asthma drug Xolair appears to be a safe and effective treatment for chronic hives, a new study shows.
The results of the study were presented at a news conference here at the American Academy"...
(ciclesonide) Nasal Spray, 50 mcg
Important Note: For Intranasal Use Only. Avoid spraying in eyes or directly onto the nasal septum (the wall between the two nostrils).
Read this leaflet before you start using OMNARIS Nasal Spray and each time you refill your prescription. This leaflet does not take the place of talking with your healthcare provider about your medical condition or your treatment. If you have any questions about OMNARIS Nasal Spray, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
What is OMNARIS Nasal Spray?
OMNARIS Nasal Spray contains a medicine called ciclesonide, which is a synthetic corticosteroid (a substance that reduces inflammation). This medicine is used to treat nasal symptoms (i.e., runny nose, itchy nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion) that happen with:
- Seasonal nasal allergy in adults and children 6 years of age and older.
- Year-round nasal allergy symptoms in adults and adolescents 12 years of age and older.
How do I use OMNARIS Nasal Spray?
Use your nasal spray exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
Seasonal allergy symptoms may improve over 1 to 2 weeks; year-round allergy symptoms may improve over 5 weeks. If your symptoms do not improve or get worse, call your healthcare provider.
- OMNARIS Nasal Spray is used 1 time each day, 2 sprays in each nostril.
- Do not use more than a total of 2 sprays in each nostril each day.
What are the side effects of OMNARIS Nasal Spray?
Common side effects with OMNARIS Nasal Spray include:
What are the other risks of using OMNARIS Nasal Spray?
- Nasal fungal infection.
- Slow healing of wounds. Do not use OMNARIS Nasal Spray until your nose has healed if: you have a sore in your nose, you have had surgery on your
- nose, or your nose has been injured.
- Eye problems, including glaucoma and cataracts. You should have regular eye exams.
- Immune system effects may increase your risk of infection. You should avoid being around people with Chicken Pox or Measles.
- Slow growth in children. A child taking OMNARIS Nasal Spray should have his/her growth checked regularly.
These are not all the possible side effects of OMNARIS Nasal Spray. Tell your healthcare provider about any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA- 1088.
What are the ingredients in OMNARIS Nasal Spray?
Active ingredient: ciclesonide
Inactive ingredients: purified water, microcrystalline cellulose, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, hypromellose, potassium sorbate and edetate sodium; and hydrochloric acid to adjust the pH to 4.5. This leaflet does not contain all of the information about your medicine. If you have any questions ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.
You may want to read this leaflet again. Please DO NOT THROW IT AWAY until you have finished your medicine.
Patient's Instructions for Use
OMNARIS Nasal Spray is supplied in an amber glass bottle in a protective plastic sleeve and should be handled with care.
Preparing For Use
1. Remove OMNARIS Nasal Spray from its foil pouch. Count 4 months from today and write this new date on the sticker on the carton (the date that is 4 months after removing the bottle from the foil pouch). Peel off the sticker and place it in the space on your nasal spray bottle. It is important that you throw away the nasal spray bottle after this date.
2. Priming OMNARIS Nasal Spray. Before you use OMNARIS Nasal Spray for the first time, you will need to prime the bottle. Hold the bottle upright and shake the bottle gently. To prime OMNARIS Nasal Spray, fully press down on the finger rests of the applicator eight times (See Figure 1 and Figure 2). If you do not use the nasal spray for 4 days, you will need to shake the bottle gently, and prime the pump again by spraying one time, or until you see a fine mist.
Using the Spray
1. Blow your nose to clear your nostrils, if needed.
2. Shake the bottle gently and remove the dust cap (See Figure 1).
3. Hold the bottle firmly with your index and middle finger on either side of the applicator (on finger rests) while supporting the base of the bottle with your thumb (See Figure 2).
4. Insert applicator tip into one nostril, and close the other nostril with your finger (See Figure 3).
5. Tilt your head forward slightly. Keep the bottle upright, and press the finger rests quickly and firmly to activate the pump. Breathe in (inhale) through your nose as you spray (See Figure 4). Try not to get any spray in your eyes or directly on your nasal septum (the wall between the two nostrils).
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for the second spray in the same nostril and for each spray in the other nostril.
How do I store OMNARIS Nasal Spray?
- Keep OMNARIS Nasal Spray clean and dry at all times.
- Store OMNARIS Nasal Spray between 59° F and 86° F.
- Do not freeze.
- Keep OMNARIS Nasal Spray and all medicines out of the reach of children.
How Do I Know When the OMNARIS Nasal Spray Bottle Is Empty?
Each bottle of OMNARIS Nasal Spray contains enough medicine for you to spray medicine from the bottle 120 times. Do not use a bottle of OMNARIS Nasal Spray after 120 sprays (not counting the priming sprays) have been used or after the “discard by date” you wrote on the sticker when you opened the foil pouch. You may still see some medicine in the bottle. Talk with your healthcare provider before your supply of OMNARIS Nasal Spray runs out to see if you should get a refill of your medicine.
Applicator Cleaning Instructions
Wipe the applicator tip with a clean tissue and replace the dust cap, after you use your nasal spray each day. (See Figure 5)
If the applicator is clogged or needs more thorough cleaning, use the following cleaning instructions (Do not try to unblock the tiny spray hole on the applicator with a pin or other sharp object. Do not twist or try to remove the white plastic pump attached to the medicine bottle.):
1. Remove the dust cap, hold the white plastic pump firmly with one hand and then carefully pull upwards to free the applicator. (See Figure 6)
2. Wash the dust cap and applicator with warm water. (See Figure 7)
3. Dry the applicator, and put it back on the bottle. The applicator will snap into place when properly positioned. (See Figure 8)
4. Prime the unit with one spray or until you see a fine mist.
5. Put the dust cap back on the applicator.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/15/2016
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Omnaris Information
Omnaris - User Reviews
Omnaris User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.