"By Megan Brooks
Medscape Medical News
The World Health Organization (WHO) has approved the first rapid test for Ebola virus disease for use in hard-hit countries.
The ReEBOV Antigen Rapid Test Kit (Corgenix M"...
Omnicef Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Omnicef, Omnicef Omni-Pac
Generic Name: cefdinir (Pronunciation: SEF dih neer)
- What is cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- What are the possible side effects of cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- What is the most important information I should know about cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- How should I take cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Omnicef)?
- What happens if I overdose (Omnicef)?
- What should I avoid while taking cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- What other drugs will affect cefdinir (Omnicef)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is cefdinir (Omnicef)?
Cefdinir is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotics. It works by fighting bacteria in your body.
Cefdinir is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria.
Cefdinir may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Cefdinir 300 mg-TEV
capsule, green/purple, imprinted with 93 3160
Omnicef 300 mg
capsule, blue/turquoise, imprinted with OMNICEF 300, a
What are the possible side effects of cefdinir (Omnicef)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- chest pain;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- unusual bleeding;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- increased thirst, loss of appetite, swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath, urinating less than usual or not at all.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, stomach pain, indigestion, vomiting, mild diarrhea;
- headache, dizziness;
- diaper rash in an infant taking liquid cefdinir;
- mild itching or skin rash; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Omnicef (cefdinir) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about cefdinir (Omnicef)?
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to cefdinir, or to similar antibiotics, such as Ceftin, Cefzil, Keflex, and others.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs (especially penicillin). Also tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or a history of intestinal problems.
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antibiotics. Cefdinir will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, stop taking cefdinir and call your doctor. Do not use anti-diarrhea medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Additional Omnicef Information
- Omnicef Drug Interactions Center: cefdinir oral
- Omnicef Side Effects Center
- Omnicef Overview including Precautions
- Omnicef FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Omnicef - User Reviews
Omnicef User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.