"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today notified Ranbaxy Laboratories, Ltd., that it is prohibited from manufacturing and distributing active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) from its facility in Toansa, India, for FDA-regulated drug product"...
(gadodiamide) Injection for Intravenous Use
NOT FOR INTRATHECAL USE and NEPHROGENIC SYSTEMIC FIBROSIS (NSF)
NOT FOR INTRATHECAL USE:
Inadvertent intrathecal use of OMNISCAN has caused convulsions, coma, sensory and motor neurologic deficits [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- Gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs) increase the risk for NSF among patients with impaired elimination of the drugs. Avoid use of GBCAs in these patients unless the diagnostic information is essential and not available with non-contrasted MRI or other modalities. NSF may result in fatal or debilitating fibrosis affecting the skin, muscle and internal organs.
- Do not administer OMNISCAN to patients with:
- chronic, severe kidney disease (GFR < 30 mL/min/1.73m²), or
- acute kidney injury [see CONTRAINDICATIONS].
- Screen patients for acute kidney injury and other conditions that may reduce renal function. For patients at risk for chronically reduced renal function (e.g., age > 60 years, hypertension or diabetes), estimate the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) through laboratory testing.
- Do not exceed the recommended OMNISCAN dose and allow a sufficient period of time for elimination of the drug from the body prior to any readministration [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
OMNISCAN (gadodiamide) Injection is the formulation of the gadolinium complex of diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid bismethylamide, and is an injectable, nonionic extracellular enhancing agent for magnetic resonance imaging. OMNISCAN is administered by intravenous injection. OMNISCAN is provided as a sterile, clear, colorless to slightly yellow, aqueous solution. Each 1 mL contains 287 mg gadodiamide and 12 mg caldiamide sodium in Water for Injection.
The pH is adjusted between 5.5 and 7.0 with hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide. OMNISCAN contains no antimicrobial preservative. OMNISCAN is a 0.5 mol/L solution of aqua[5,8-bis(carboxymethyl)11-[2-(methylamino)-2-oxoethyl]-3-oxo-2,5,8,11-tetraazatridecan-13-oato (3-)-N5, N8, N11, O3, O5, O8, O11, O13] gadolinium hydrate, with a molecular weight of 573.66 (anhydrous), an empirical formula of C16H28GdN5O9•xH2O, and the following structural formula:
Pertinent physicochemical data for OMNISCAN are noted below:
|Osmolality (mOsmol/kg water)||@ 37°C||789|
|Viscosity (cP)||@ 20°C||2|
|Density (g/mL)||@ 25°C||1.14|
|Specific gravity||@ 25°C||1.15|
OMNISCAN has an osmolality approximately 2.8 times that of plasma at 37°C and is hypertonic under conditions of use.
Last reviewed on RxList: 9/9/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Omniscan Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.