"Attendees at a medical conference last year applauded over and over at the news that glucose-lowering empagliflozin (Jardiance, Boehringer Ingelheim/Lilly) also significantly reduced the relative risk of both cardiovascular mortality and"...
Onglyza Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Onglyza
Generic Name: saxagliptin (Pronunciation: SAX a GLIP tin)
- What is saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- What are the possible side effects of saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- What is the most important information I should know about saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- How should I take saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Onglyza)?
- What happens if I overdose (Onglyza)?
- What should I avoid while taking saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- What other drugs will affect saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
Saxagliptin is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. It works by regulating the levels of insulin your body produces after eating.
Saxagliptin is for people with type 2 diabetes. Saxagliptin is sometimes used in combination with other diabetes medications, but is not for treating type 1 diabetes.
Saxagliptin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Onglyza 2.5 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with 2.5, 4214
Onglyza 5 mg
round, pink, imprinted with 5, 4215
What are the possible side effects of saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- pain or burning when you urinate;
- swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet; or
- easy bruising or bleeding.
Less serious side effects may include:
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, cough;
- headache; or
- stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Onglyza (saxagliptin tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about saxagliptin (Onglyza)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to saxagliptin or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with insulin).
Before you take saxagliptin, tell your doctor if you have kidney disease or if you are on dialysis.
You may take this medicine with or without food. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Saxagliptin is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, weight control, and possibly other medications. It is important to use this medicine regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Additional Onglyza Information
- Onglyza Drug Interactions Center: saxagliptin oral
- Onglyza Side Effects Center
- Onglyza Overview including Precautions
- Onglyza FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Onglyza - User Reviews
Onglyza User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.