"By Kathleen Doheny
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Arefa Cassoobhoy, MD, MPH
March 10, 2015 -- Drugs known as biologics have grabbed headlines over the years, both for their potential in fighting cancer and other diseases, and f"...
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Dosing Schedule And Administration
- Premedicate with an antihistamine and acetaminophen prior to each Ontak infusion.
- Administer at 9 or 18 mcg/kg/day by intravenous infusion over 30-60 minutes for 5 consecutive days every 21 days for 8 cycles.
- Do not administer as a bolus injection.
- Withhold administration of Ontak if serum albumin levels are less than 3.0 g/dL.
- Discontinue for adverse infusion reactions.
Preparation And Administration
- Thaw vials in the refrigerator at 2 to 8°C (36 to 46°F) for not more than 24 hours or at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
- Bring Ontak to room temperature, before preparing the dose.
- Mix the solution in the vial by gentle swirling; do not shake.
- Visually inspect for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit. Use only if the solution is clear, colorless and without visible particulate matter. After thawing, a haze may be visible which should clear when the solution is at room temperature.
- Do not refreeze Ontak after thawing.
- Prepare and hold diluted Ontak in plastic syringes or soft plastic IV bags. Do not use glass containers.
- Maintain concentration of Ontak at 15 mcg/mL or higher.
- during all steps in the preparation of the solution for IV infusion.
- Withdraw the calculated dose from the vial(s) and inject it into an empty IV infusion bag. Do not add more than 9 mL of sterile saline without preservative to the IV bag for each 1 mL of Ontak.
- Do not mix Ontak with other drugs.
- Do not administer Ontak through an in-line filter.
- Administer prepared solutions of Ontak within 6 hours, using a syringe pump or IV infusion bag.
- Discard unused portions of Ontak immediately.
Dosage Forms And Strengths
Solution in a single-use vial containing 150 mcg/mL (300 mcg in 2 mL).
Storage And Handling
Ontak is supplied as 150 mcg/ml, sterile, frozen solution (300 mcg in 2 mL) in a sterile single-use vial. NDC 62856-603-01, 6 vials in a package.
Store frozen at or below -10°C (14°F).
Manufactured by: Jubilant HollisterStier. Contract: Manufacturing & Services Division: 3525 N. Regal Street, Spokane, WA 99207. Distributed by: Eisai Inc., Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677. Revised: Aug 2011This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 3/11/2016
Additional Ontak Information
Ontak - User Reviews
Ontak User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.