Oral Health and Bone Disease (cont.)
In this Article
- Introduction to oral health and bone disease
- How does skeletal bone density affect the teeth?
- Is there a link between periodontal disease and bone health?
- Can dental X-rays detect osteoporosis?
- Does treating osteoporosis improve my oral health?
- Where can I find tips on improving my bone health?
- Where can I find more information on oral health and bone disease?
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Taking Steps for Healthy Bones
There are many important steps you can to take to optimize your bone health:
- Eat a well-balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D.
- Live a healthy lifestyle. Don't smoke, and if you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation.
- Engage in regular physical activity or exercise. Weight-bearing activities, such as walking, jogging, dancing, and lifting weights, are the best for strong bones.
- Report any problems with loose teeth, detached or receding gums, and loose or ill-fitting dentures to your dentist and doctor.
additional information on osteoporosis, visit the NIH Resource Center's Web site
at www.niams.nih.gov/bone or call 1-800-624-2663.
For additional information on oral health, visit the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research Web site at www.nidcr.nih.gov or call 301-402-7364.
Source: National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, http://www.niams.nih.gov
Last Editorial Review: 6/19/2008
Viewers share their comments
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Concerns Question: What are your particular concerns regarding low bone density in your jaw and dental health issues?
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Peridontal Disease Question: Do you have peridontal disease? Please discuss the treatments you have received.
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Dental X-rays Question: After receiving X-rays, did your dentist discuss bone density with you? Please share your experience.
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Taking Steps Question: Discuss the steps you've taken to protect your tooth and bone health.
Oral Health and Bone Disease - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with oral health and bone disease.
Get tips and advances in treatment.