"A new report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) shows the importance of public funding for mental health services and substance abuse during difficult economic times, when it helps those who might otherwis"...
Orap Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Orap
Generic Name: pimozide (Pronunciation: PIM oh zide)
- What is pimozide (Orap)?
- What are the possible side effects of pimozide (Orap)?
- What is the most important information I should know about pimozide (Orap)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking pimozide (Orap)?
- How should I take pimozide (Orap)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Orap)?
- What happens if I overdose (Orap)?
- What should I avoid while taking pimozide (Orap)?
- What other drugs will affect pimozide (Orap)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is pimozide (Orap)?
Pimozide is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.
Pimozide is used to suppress the motor and phonic tics associated with Tourette's disorder.
Pimozide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Orap 2 mg
elliptical, white, imprinted with LEMMON, ORAP 2
What are the possible side effects of pimozide (Orap)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- seizure (convulsions);
- twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs; or
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors, feeling like you might pass out.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness;
- feeling restless;
- vision problems;
- constipation; or
- dry mouth.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Orap (pimozide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about pimozide (Orap)?
Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with pimozide and lead to potentially dangerous effects. Avoid eating or drinking grapefruit products while taking this medication.
Pimozide may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of pimozide.
Call your doctor right away if you have uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs.
Additional Orap Information
- Orap Drug Interactions Center: pimozide oral
- Orap Side Effects Center
- Orap Overview including Precautions
- Orap FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Orap - User Reviews
Orap User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get tips on therapy and treatment.