"Women who use oral hormonal contraceptives are at increased risk of developing depression, and adolescents seem most vulnerable, results of a large study suggest.
"Women should generally be informed about this potential side effect wi"...
Ortho Micronor Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Aygestin, Camila, Errin, Jolivette, Nora-Be, Nor-QD, Ortho Micronor
Generic Name: norethindrone (Pronunciation: nor eth IN drone)
- What is norethindrone (Ortho Micronor)?
- What are the possible side effects of norethindrone?
- What is the most important information I should know about norethindrone?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using norethindrone?
- How should I take norethindrone?
- What happens if I miss a dose?
- What happens if I overdose?
- What should I avoid while taking norethindrone?
- What other drugs will affect norethindrone?
- Where can I get more information?
What is norethindrone (Ortho Micronor)?
Norethindrone is a form of progesterone, a female hormone. Norethindrone prevents ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary). This medication also causes changes in your cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.
Norethindrone is used for birth control (contraception) to prevent pregnancy. Norethindrone is also used to treat menstrual disorders, endometriosis, or abnormal vaginal bleeding caused by a hormone imbalance.
Norethindrone may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Aygestin 5 mg
elliptical, white, imprinted with 5 AYGESTIN
round, green, imprinted with 892, WATSON
round, white, imprinted with WATSON, 629
Norethindrone 5 mg-BAR
oval, white, imprinted with 211 5, b
round, yellow, imprinted with 235, WATSON
What are the possible side effects of norethindrone?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden headache, confusion, pain behind the eyes, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- pain or swelling in one or both legs;
- migraine headache;
- swelling in your hands or feet, rapid weight gain;
- symptoms of depression (sleep problems, weakness, mood changes);
- severe pelvic pain;
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling; or
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, bloating, stomach cramps;
- breast pain, swelling, or tenderness;
- freckles or darkening of facial skin;
- increased acne or hair growth;
- changes in weight;
- vaginal itching or discharge;
- skin itching or rash;
- changes in your menstrual periods, decreased sex drive; or
- mild headache.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ortho Micronor (norethindrone) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about norethindrone?
This medication can cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Do not use if you are pregnant. Use an effective form of birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment.
Do not use this medication if you have any of the following conditions: a history of stroke or blood clot, circulation problems, breast cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver disease, or if you have recently had an incomplete miscarriage or abortion.
You may need to use back-up birth control, such as condoms or a spermicide, when you first start using this medication. Follow your doctor's instructions.
Taking hormones can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, or heart attack, especially if you smoke and are older than 35.
Norethindrone does not protect you from sexually transmitted diseases--including HIV and AIDS. Using a condom is the only way to help protect yourself from these diseases.
Additional Ortho Micronor Information
Ortho Micronor - User Reviews
Ortho Micronor User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.