(Cancer of the Ovaries)
- Ovarian cancer facts*
- What are the ovaries?
- What is ovarian cancer?
- What are risk factors for ovarian cancer?
- Ovarian cancer symptoms
- How is ovarian cancer diagnosed?
- How is staging for ovarian cancer determined?
- What is the treatment for ovarian cancer?
- Treatment methods
- Radiation therapy
- What are the side effects of treatment for ovarian cancer?
- What follow-up care is necessary?
- Where can ovarian cancer patients find support?
- What research is available for ovarian cancer patients?
- What resources are available to patients with ovarian cancer?
- Pictures of Ovarian Cancer - Slideshow
- Take the Ovarian Cancer Quiz
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Women Ignore - Slideshow
- Ovarian Cancer FAQs
- Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Treatments
- Find a local Oncologist in your town
Ovarian cancer facts*
*Ovarian cancer facts Medically Written by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
- Most ovarian growths in women under age 30 are benign, fluid-filled cysts.
- There are several types of ovarian cancer.
- The exact causes of ovarian cancer are unknown.
- Risk factors that increase the chance of developing ovarian cancer include a family history of cancer, being over 55 years of age, and never being pregnant.
- The ovarian cancer symptoms and signs can be vague but may include abdominal swelling, pressure, or pain, frequent urination or urinary urgency, back pain, leg pain, unusual vaginal bleeding, and feeling full quickly.
- There are no routine screening tests for ovarian cancer.
- A physical examination (including pelvic exam), ultrasound, X-rays, the CA 125 blood test, and biopsy of the ovary may be needed to detect and diagnose ovarian cancer and determine staging.
- The treatment, prognosis, and survival rate for ovarian cancer depend on the stage of the disease and the age and health of the woman.
Next: What are the ovaries?
Viewers share their comments
Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms Question: For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis Question: How did your ovarian cancer diagnosis come about?
Get the latest treatment options.