Painful Gums Early Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Painful, sore, red gums can be a symptom of gingivitis (inflammation of the gums) or, more likely, periodontitis (inflammation of the attachment fibers of the teeth and supporting bone), which can arise due to a number of different causes. Inflammation of the gums may manifest as
- bleeding of the gums either after brushing or when otherwise irritated.
Gum disease can ultimately lead to receding gums and even damage to the bones of the jaw. Hormonal changes during pregnancy can also increase the sensitivity of the gums, which may in some cases lead to soreness or pain. Painful gums can also arise due to localized sores on the gums, such as abscesses or aphthous ulcers (canker sores).
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Stephen, James M. "Gingivitis." Medscape.com. Dec. 31, 2014. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/763801-overview>.
Causes of Painful Gums
In This ArticleGum Disease Article
- What is gum disease (gingivitis)?
- What is the difference between gingivitis and periodontal disease?
- What causes gum disease?
- Does gum disease cause bad breath?
- What are other gum disease symptoms and signs?
- How is gum disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for gum disease?
- Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for gum disease?
- Can gum disease be reversed?
- Is gum disease associated with other health problems?
- How is gum disease managed in children?
- How is gum disease managed in pregnancy?
- Can gum disease be prevented?
- Is gum disease contagious?
In This ArticleGum Problems Article
- Gum health introduction
- What are common gum problems?
- What causes gum problems?
- What are the risk factors for gum problems?
- What are signs and symptoms of gum problems?
- How are gum problems diagnosed?
- Can gum problems be a sign of something serious?
- What is the treatment for gum problems? What are home remedies for gum problems?
- What are the complications with gum problems?
- What is the prognosis for gum problems?
- What is the best way to care for your gums?
- Is it possible to prevent gum problems?
In This ArticleHuman Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Article
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) facts
- What is the human immunodeficiency virus?
- What is the history of HIV?
- What causes an HIV infection?
- What are the different stages of an HIV infection?
- What are risk factors for an HIV infection?
- What are HIV symptoms and signs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose an HIV infection? What are the different types of HIV tests?
- What are HIV treatments? What medications are used in the treatment of HIV?
- What are complications of an HIV infection?
- What is the prognosis of an HIV infection?
- Is it possible to prevent the transmission of HIV?
- What research is being done on HIV?
- Are support groups available for people who are HIV positive?
- Where can people find more information on HIV?
In This ArticleIs Gingivitis Contagious? Article
- What is gingivitis?
- Is gingivitis contagious?
- How does gingivitis spread?
- How will one know if he or she has gingivitis?
- How will someone know when he or she no longer has gingivitis?
- When should someone seek medical care for gingivitis?
In This ArticleOral Cancer Article
- Oral cancer facts*
- What is the oral cavity?
- What is cancer?
- Who's at risk for oral cancer?
- What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
- How is oral cancer diagnosed?
- How is oral cancer treated?
- Methods of treatment
- What are the side effects of treatment for oral cancer?
- What is rehabilitation for oral cancer?
- What happens after treatment for oral cancer?
- What does the future hold for patients with oral cancer?
- What resources are available to patients with oral cancer?
In This ArticlePericoronitis Article
- What is pericoronitis?
- What causes pericoronitis?
- What are risk factors for pericoronitis?
- What are pericoronitis symptoms and signs?
- How is pericoronitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for pericoronitis?
- Are home remedies effective for pericoronitis?
- What is the prognosis for pericoronitis?
- Is it possible to prevent pericoronitis?
In This ArticlePregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy facts*
- What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester of her pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Hemorrhoids during pregnancy
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
In This ArticleToothache Article
- What is a toothache?
- What causes a toothache?
- What are toothache symptoms and signs?
- How is a toothache diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for a toothache?
- Are home remedies effective for a toothache?
- How is a toothache treated during pregnancy?
- What is the prognosis for a toothache?
- Is it possible to prevent a toothache?
Other Causes of Painful Gums
- Bacterial Infection
- Dental or Orthodontic Procedures
- Excessively Hard Toothbrushing
- Poorly Fitting Dentures
- Poor Oral Hygiene
- Tooth Loss
- Trauma to the Mouth and/or Gums
- Trench Mouth
Examples of Medications for Painful Gums
- acetaminophen, Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
WebMD Oral Health
Get tips for a healthy mouth.