In this Article
- What are paraphilias?
- What behaviors are considered paraphilias?
- How common are paraphilias?
- What causes paraphilia?
- How is paraphilia treated?
- How successful is treatment for paraphilia?
- Find a local Psychiatrist in your town
How Successful Is Treatment for Paraphilia?
To be most effective, treatment for paraphilia must be provided on a long-term basis. Unwillingness to comply with treatment can hinder its success. It is imperative that people with paraphilias of an illegal nature receive professional help before they harm others or create legal problems for themselves.
WebMD Medical Reference
Merck Manual Home Health Handbook: "Paraphilias."
Mayo Clinic: "Compulsive sexual behavior."
Reviewed by Marina Katz, MD on July 30, 2012
Last Editorial Review: 7/30/2012
Sex & Relationships
Get tips to boost your love life.