"A set of proteins involved in the body's natural defenses produces a large number of mutations in human DNA, according to a study led by researchers at the National Institutes of Health. The findings suggest that these naturally produced mutat"...
Paraplatin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Paraplatin
Generic Name: carboplatin (Pronunciation: KAR boe PLA tin)
- What is carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
- What are the possible side effects of carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
- How is carboplatin given (Paraplatin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Paraplatin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Paraplatin)?
- What should I avoid while using carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
- What other drugs will affect carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
Carboplatin is a cancer medication that interferes with the growth of cancer cells and slows their growth and spread in the body.
Carboplatin is used together with other cancer medications to treat ovarian cancer.
Carboplatin may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat;
- severe or ongoing vomiting;
- stomach pain, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- numbness or tingly feeling in your hands or feet;
- hearing or vision problems;
- skin changes where the medicine was injected; or
- low magnesium (confusion, uneven heart rate, jerking muscle movements, muscle weakness or limp feeling).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite;
- tired feeling;
- temporary hair loss; or
- pain, swelling or redness where the medicine was injected.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Paraplatin (carboplatin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about carboplatin (Paraplatin)?
You should not receive this medication if you are allergic to carboplatin or similar medications such as oxaliplatin (Eloxatin) or cisplatin (Platinol). You should not receive carboplatin if you have severe bleeding or bone marrow suppression.
Before receiving carboplatin, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, or if you have received carboplatin in the past.
Carboplatin can harm your kidneys, and this effect is increased when you also use certain other medicines harmful to the kidneys. Before you receive carboplatin, tell your doctor about all other medications you use. Many other drugs (including some over-the-counter medicines) can be harmful to the kidneys.
Carboplatin can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections. This can make it easier for you to bleed from an injury or get sick from being around others who are ill. Your blood may need to be tested often. Visit your doctor regularly.
Call your doctor if you have a serious side effect such as pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, mouth sores, hearing or vision problems, numbness or tingling, feeling short of breath, or muscle weakness.
You may need to receive blood transfusions while you are being treated with carboplatin.
Additional Paraplatin Information
- Paraplatin Drug Interactions Center: carboplatin iv
- Paraplatin Side Effects Center
- Paraplatin Overview including Precautions
- Paraplatin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.