"Potential drug treatments are tested on paper, in laboratories and eventually in thousands of people. But every drug that goes through this cycle â€“ every drug that FDA approves â€“ carries some risk. One of the first lines of defense against "...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Pediazole Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Pediazole
Generic Name: erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pronunciation: ee RITH roe MYE sin and SUL fa SOX i zole)
- What is erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- What are the possible side effects of erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- What is the most important information I should know about erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- How should I take erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Pediazole)?
- What happens if I overdose (Pediazole)?
- What should I avoid while taking erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- What other drugs will affect erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
Erythromycin is in a group of drugs called macrolide antibiotics. Erythromycin fights bacteria in the body.
Sulfisoxazole is a sulfa drug that also fights bacteria in the body.
The combination of erythromycin and sulfisoxazole is used to ear infections in children.
Erythromycin and sulfisoxazole may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeat;
- diarrhea that is watery or bloody;
- confusion, hallucinations;
- muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness with fever or flu symptoms and dark colored urine;
- white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
- ringing in your ears, or problems with hearing;
- numbness or tingly feeling in your hands or feet;
- sore throat, swelling or lump in your throat or neck;
- cough, feeling short of breath;
- blood in your urine, pain in your side or lower back, pain when you urinate;
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain;
- headache, mild dizziness, spinning sensation; or
- vaginal itching or discharge.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Pediazole (erythromycin and sulfisoxazole) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about erythromycin and sulfisoxazole (Pediazole)?
Do not take this medication if you are allergic to erythromycin or sulfisoxazole, if you are in your 9th month of pregnancy, or if you are breast-feeding a baby younger than 2 months old.
Before taking erythromycin and sulfisoxazole, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, diabetes, myasthenia gravis, a history of "Long QT Syndrome," or if you are allergic to sulfa drugs or other antibiotics such as azithromycin (Zithromax) or clarithromycin (Biaxin).
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely cleared. Erythromycin and sulfisoxazole will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Additional Pediazole Information
Pediazole - User Reviews
Pediazole User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.