Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Peeling skin can occur as a reaction to a number of inflammatory processes of the skin or damage to the skin. Sunburn is a classic example, but other conditions that can cause peeling skin include various forms of dermatitis, eczema, and certain infections. Burns of any degree of severity can result in peeling skin. Some types of medications, such as topical retinoids used for acne, can cause peeling skin. Adverse reactions to medications such as cancer chemotherapeutic agents can also lead to peeling skin. Any condition that results in the formation of a blister can result in peeling skin at the area of the blister. Although peeling skin is not typically associated with a rash, some skin rashes may be associated with peeling skin. Treatment is dependent upon the underlying cause.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Longo, D.L., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.
Causes of Peeling Skin
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleDandruff (Seborrhea) Article
- Dandruff facts
- What is dandruff? What causes dandruff?
- What treatments are available for dandruff?
- What doesn't help dandruff?
- What over-the-counter products can help dandruff?
- If over-the-counter products don't work, what can the doctor prescribe for dandruff?
In This ArticleDry Skin Article
- Dry skin facts
- What is dry skin?
- What causes dry skin?
- What are signs and symptoms of dry skin?
- How is dry skin diagnosed?
- Does dry skin cause winter itch?
- Do genetics play a role in dry skin?
- What medical conditions cause dry skin?
- Do any medications cause dry skin?
- What is the treatment for dry skin?
- What are possible complications of dry skin?
- What are some home remedies for dry skin?
- How can dry skin be prevented?
- What are the best products for dry skin?
In This ArticleEczema Article
- Eczema facts
- What is eczema?
- Are there different types of eczema? What causes eczema?
- What are eczema symptoms and signs?
- How is eczema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eczema?
- What are home remedies for eczema?
- Does diet affect eczema?
- Is there a cure for eczema?
- Is eczema contagious?
- What is the prognosis of eczema?
- Is it possible to prevent eczema?
In This ArticleIs a Staph Infection Contagious? Article
- What is staph?
- Is staph contagious?
- How will I know if I have a staph infection?
- How are staph infections transmitted?
- When will I know I am cured of a staph infection? How long is the contagious period for a staph infection?
- When should I contact a medical caregiver about a staph infection?
In This ArticleJock Itch Article
- Jock itch facts
- What is jock itch? What does jock itch look like?
- What causes jock itch?
- Who gets jock itch?
- What are jock itch symptoms and signs?
- Does jock itch affect the entire body?
- How is jock itch diagnosed?
- Is jock itch curable? Is jock itch contagious?
- What are possible complications of jock itch?
- What is the treatment for jock itch?
- What home remedy can I use for jock itch?
- What holistic jock itch treatments are available?
- How do I treat fungal jock itch?
- How do I treat bacterial jock itch?
- How is itching from jock itch treated?
- What is the best drug for jock itch?
- Why is my groin still discolored?
- What is the prognosis with jock itch?
- When should someone call a doctor about jock itch?
- Is it possible to prevent jock itch?
In This ArticleKawasaki Disease Article
- Kawasaki's disease facts
- What is Kawasaki's disease, and how is it diagnosed?
- What is mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome?
- What are the usual symptoms and signs of Kawasaki's disease?
- What are the less common findings?
- What is the difference between Kawasaki's disease and Kawasaki's syndrome?
- What causes Kawasaki's disease?
- Who develops Kawasaki's disease?
- How can Kawasaki's disease cause serious complications?
- What is the treatment for Kawasaki's disease?
- What is the prognosis for children with Kawasaki's disease?
- Can Kawasaki's disease be prevented?
In This ArticlePsoriasis Article
- Psoriasis facts
- What is psoriasis?
- What are psoriasis causes and risk factors?
- What are the different types of psoriasis?
- Can psoriasis affect my joints?
- Can psoriasis affect only my nails?
- What are psoriasis symptoms and signs? What does psoriasis look like?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose psoriasis?
- How many people have psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis contagious?
- Is there a cure for psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis hereditary?
- What kind of doctor treats psoriasis?
- What is the treatment for psoriasis?
- What creams, lotions, and home remedies are available for psoriasis?
- What oral medications are available for psoriasis?
- What injections or infusions are available for psoriasis?
- Is there a psoriasis diet?
- What about light therapy for psoriasis?
- What is the long-term prognosis with psoriasis? What are complications of psoriasis?
- Is it possible to prevent psoriasis?
- What does the future hold for psoriasis?
- Is there a national psoriasis support group?
- Where can people get more information on psoriasis?
In This ArticleScarlet Fever (Scarlatina) Article
- Scarlet fever facts
- What is scarlet fever?
- What causes scarlet fever?
- What is the incubation period for scarlet fever?
- What are risk factors for scarlet fever?
- What is the contagious period for scarlet fever?
- What are scarlet fever symptoms and signs?
- How do physicians diagnose scarlet fever?
- What is the treatment for scarlet fever?
- What are complications of scarlet fever?
- What is the prognosis of scarlet fever? What are the long-term effects of scarlet fever?
- Is it possible to prevent scarlet fever? Is there a scarlet fever vaccine?
In This ArticleSeborrheic Dermatitis Article
- Seborrheic dermatitis facts
- What is seborrheic dermatitis?
- What are risk factors for seborrheic dermatitis?
- What causes seborrheic dermatitis?
- What are seborrheic dermatitis symptoms and signs?
- How is seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for seborrheic dermatitis?
- What are complications of seborrheic dermatitis?
- What is the prognosis of seborrheic dermatitis?
- Can seborrheic dermatitis be prevented?
In This ArticleSunburn (Sun Poisoning) Article
- Sunburn and sun poisoning facts
- What is sunburn?
- Can sunburn cause permanent damage?
- What is UV light and where are UV rays most intense?
- What are the symptoms of sunburn?
- What are the symptoms of severe sunburn (sun poisoning)?
- Sunburn pictures
- What first-aid measures should be taken with sunburn?
- What is the treatment for sunburn?
- Are there any home remedies to treat sunburn?
- Is a follow-up visit with a physician necessary?
- Who is most susceptible to sunburn?
- Can diseases cause a heightened sensitivity to UV rays?
- What kinds of skin cancer can UV rays cause?
- How can sunburn and skin cancer be prevented?
- How do sunscreens work?
- What is SPF?
- What is the best way to apply sunscreen?
- Do sunscreens expire?
- Can antioxidants protect against sunburn?
Other Causes of Peeling Skin
- Bacterial Infections
- Cutaneous T Cell Lymphoma
- Erythroderma (Exfoliative Dermatitis)
- Fungal Infections
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
- Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- Vitamin A Toxicity (Hypervitaminosis A)
Examples of Medications for Peeling Skin
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.