Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Peeling skin can occur as a reaction to a number of inflammatory processes of the skin or damage to the skin. Burns of any degree of severity can result in peeling skin. Some types of medications, such as topical retinoids used for acne, can cause peeling skin. Adverse reactions to medications such as cancer chemotherapeutic agents can also lead to peeling skin. Any condition that results in the formation of a blister can result in peeling skin at the area of the blister. Although peeling skin is not typically associated with a rash, some skin rashes may be associated with peeling skin. Treatment is dependent upon the underlying cause.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Causes of Peeling Skin
In This ArticleAthlete's Foot Article
- Athlete's foot facts
- What is athlete's foot?
- What are the symptoms and signs of athlete's foot?
- What does athlete's foot look like?
- Is athlete's foot contagious?
- What else causes foot rashes?
- What is the treatment for athlete's foot?
- What home remedies are available for athlete's foot?
- How can I treat athlete's foot in pregnancy?
- When should I seek medical care?
- What are possible complications of athlete's foot?
- What kind of doctor treats athlete's foot?
- How can I prevent future athlete's foot infections?
In This ArticleBurns (First Aid) Article
- Introduction to burns
- How are burns classified?
- What is the significance of the amount of body area burned?
- How important is the location of a burn?
- What about electrical burns?
- What about chemical burns?
- First aid for burns
In This ArticleDandruff (Seborrhea) Article
- Dandruff facts
- What is dandruff (seborrhea)?
- What treatments are available for dandruff?
- What doesn't help dandruff?
- What over-the-counter products can help dandruff?
- If over-the-counter products don't work, what can the doctor prescribe for dandruff?
In This ArticleDry Skin Article
- Dry skin facts
- What is dry skin?
- What causes dry skin?
- What are signs and symptoms of dry skin?
- How is dry skin diagnosed?
- Does dry skin cause winter itch?
- Do genetics play a role in dry skin?
- What medical conditions cause dry skin?
- Do any medications cause dry skin?
- What is the treatment for dry skin?
- What are possible complications of dry skin?
- What are some home remedies for dry skin?
- How can dry skin be prevented?
- What are the best products for dry skin?
In This ArticleEczema Article
- Eczema facts
- What is eczema?
- Are there different types of eczema? What causes eczema?
- What are eczema symptoms and signs?
- How is eczema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eczema?
- What are home remedies for eczema?
- Does diet affect eczema?
- Is there a cure for eczema?
- Is eczema contagious?
- What is the prognosis of eczema?
- Is it possible to prevent eczema?
In This ArticleExcessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis) Article
- Hyperhidrosis facts
- What is hyperhidrosis?
- What is the cause of hyperhidrosis?
- What is the treatment of hyperhidrosis?
In This ArticleKawasaki Disease Article
- Kawasaki's disease facts
- What is Kawasaki's disease, and how is it diagnosed?
- What is mucocutaneous lymph node syndrome?
- What are the usual symptoms and signs of Kawasaki's disease?
- What are the less common findings?
- What is the difference between Kawasaki's disease and Kawasaki's syndrome?
- What causes Kawasaki's disease?
- Who develops Kawasaki's disease?
- How can Kawasaki's disease cause serious complications?
- What is the treatment for Kawasaki's disease?
- What is the prognosis for children with Kawasaki's disease?
- Can Kawasaki's disease be prevented?
In This ArticleSeborrheic Dermatitis Article
- Seborrheic dermatitis facts
- What is seborrheic dermatitis?
- What are risk factors for seborrheic dermatitis?
- What causes seborrheic dermatitis?
- What are seborrheic dermatitis symptoms and signs?
- How is seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for seborrheic dermatitis?
- What are complications of seborrheic dermatitis?
- What is the prognosis of seborrheic dermatitis?
- Can seborrheic dermatitis be prevented?
In This ArticleSunburn (Sun Poisoning) Article
- Sunburn and sun poisoning facts
- What is sunburn?
- Can sunburn cause permanent damage?
- What is UV light and where are UV rays most intense?
- Why does the skin tan after exposure to UV rays?
- What are the symptoms of sunburn?
- What are the symptoms of severe sunburn (sun poisoning)?
- Sunburn pictures
- What first-aid measures should be taken with sunburn?
- What is the treatment for sunburn?
- Are there any home remedies to treat sunburn?
- Is a follow-up visit with a physician necessary?
- Who is most susceptible to sunburn?
- Can diseases cause a heightened sensitivity to UV rays?
- Can medications increase sensitivity to sunburn?
- What kinds of skin cancer can UV rays cause?
- How can sunburn and skin cancer be prevented?
- How do sunscreens work?
- What is SPF?
- What is the best way to apply sunscreen?
- Do sunscreens expire?
- Can antioxidants protect against sunburn?
Other Causes of Peeling Skin
- Bacterial Infections
- Erythroderma (Exfoliative Dermatitis)
- Fungal Infections
- Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- Vitamin A Toxicity (Hypervitaminosis A)
Examples of Medications for Peeling Skin
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.