Penile Implants (cont.)
In this Article
- Penile prosthesis introduction
- How does the penile prothesis work?
- Is the prothesis noticeable?
- What is sex like with the prothesis
- How effective are the penile implants?
- Is the penile implant safe?
- Will insurance cover the cost of the penis prosthesis implant?
- Find a local Urologist in your town
How Effective Are the Implants?
About 90%-95% of inflatable prosthesis implants produce erections suitable for intercourse. Satisfaction rates with the prosthesis are very high, and typically 80%-90% of men are satisfied with the results and say they would choose the surgery again.
Is the Implant Safe?
No surgery is totally free of possible complications. Complications associated with penile implants include:
- Uncontrolled bleeding after the surgery possibly leading to re-operation
- Scar tissue formation
- Erosion (tissue around the implant may break down)
- Mechanical failure
Will Insurance Cover the Cost of the Penis Prosthesis Implant?
Insurance coverage for these operations is often good, as long as a medical cause of ED is established. Medicare covers the surgery, but Medicaid does not.
American Urological Association., Mentor Corporation.
Edited by John M. Baird, MD, FACS on January 01, 2007
Portions of this page © The Cleveland Clinic 2000-2004
Last Editorial Review: 1/1/2007
Sex & Relationships
Get tips to boost your love life.