Penile Itching Symptoms
Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Itching in the area of the penis or external genital organs occurs for many of the same reasons that itching occurs elsewhere on the body. Infections, including sexually transmitted infections, are a primary cause of penile itching. Jock itch, the term used to refer to an inflammation and irritation of the groin area, may spread to the penis and result in itching. Causes include fungal infections, scabies, pubic lice, tight undergarments, allergic reaction, skin friction, bacterial infection, and other conditions. Sometimes, systemic diseases such as chickenpox can spread to the genital areas, resulting in itching.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Wiederkehr, Michael, and Robert A. Schwartz. "Tinea Cruris." eMedicine.com. Dec. 2, 2009. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1091806-overview>.
Causes of Penile Itching
In This ArticleAllergy Article
- Allergy facts
- What does an allergy mean?
- What causes allergies?
- Who is at risk and why?
- What are common allergic conditions, and what are allergy symptoms and signs?
- Hay Fever
- Allergic Eyes
- Allergic Eczema
- Allergic Shock
- Where are allergens? Everywhere
- In the air we breathe
- In what we ingest
- Touching our skin
- Injected into our body
In This ArticleBug Bites and Stings Article
- Bug bites and stings introduction
- What can I do to keep insects away?
- What's the proper way to use insect repellent?
- What's the best way to remove a bee stinger?
- What should I do if I find a tick on me or my child?
- What can be done for itching and pain from bites and stings?
- When is medical attention needed?
- Where can I find more information on bug bites and stings?
In This ArticleChickenpox (Varicella) Article
- What is chickenpox? What causes chickenpox?
- How does chickenpox spread?
- What are chickenpox symptoms and signs?
- What are treatment options for chickenpox?
- What are the possible complications of chickenpox?
- Can chickenpox be prevented with a vaccine?
- Chickenpox At A Glance
In This ArticleEczema Article
- Eczema facts
- What is eczema?
- What are the causes of eczema?
- What are risk factors for eczema?
- What are eczema symptoms and signs in babies, children, and adults?
- What are the different types of eczema?
- How is eczema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eczema?
- Can eczema be prevented?
- What are the possible complications of eczema?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for eczema?
In This ArticleGenital Warts in Men (HPV Virus) Article
- HPV virus (genital warts ) in men introduction
- Risks of HPV virus in men
- Male HPV: The symptoms
- Tests for HPV virus in men
- Treatments for HPV
- Is there an HPV vaccine for men?
- How to manage HPV in a relationship
- How to prevent transmission of HPV
In This ArticleInsect Sting Allergies Article
- What are stinging insects?
- Who is at risk for insect sting allergies?
- What types of insect sting reactions occur?
- How is a severe allergic reaction immediately treated?
- How can I avoid insect stings?
- What can I do about becoming immune to insect allergy?
- Stinging Insect Allergies At A Glance
In This ArticleItching Article
- Itching (itch) facts
- What is an itch?
- What are associated symptoms and signs of itching?
- What causes itching?
- How is the cause of itching diagnosed?
- Should I scratch the itch?
- What are topical (external) itch treatments? Are there any home remedies for itching?
- What are oral itch treatments?
- Can itching be prevented?
- When should the doctor be consulted for itching?
- What are possible complications of itching?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for itching?
In This ArticleJock Itch Article
- Jock itch facts
- What is jock itch? What does jock itch look like?
- What causes jock itch?
- Who gets jock itch?
- What are jock itch symptoms and signs?
- Does jock itch affect the entire body?
- How is jock itch diagnosed?
- Is jock itch curable? Is jock itch contagious?
- What are possible complications of jock itch?
- What is the treatment for jock itch?
- What home remedy can I use for jock itch?
- What holistic jock itch treatments are available?
- How do I treat fungal jock itch?
- How do I treat bacterial jock itch?
- How is itching from jock itch treated?
- Why is my groin still discolored?
- What is the best drug for jock itch?
- What is the prognosis with jock itch?
- When should I call my doctor about jock itch?
- How do I prevent jock itch?
In This ArticlePoison Ivy Article
- Poison ivy, oak, and sumac facts
- What causes the rash? How do I identify poison ivy, oak, and sumac?
- What are the signs and symptoms of the poison ivy rash?
- Is a rash from poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis contagious?
- What are risk factors for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- How is the dermatitis of poison ivy, oak, and sumac diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- What are complications for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- How can contact with poison ivy, oak, and sumac be prevented?
- What should people do if they are exposed to a poisonous plant?
In This ArticlePsoriasis Article
- Psoriasis facts
- What is psoriasis?
- What causes psoriasis?
- What does psoriasis look like? What are psoriasis symptoms and signs?
- Can psoriasis affect my joints?
- How is psoriasis diagnosed?
- Can psoriasis affect only my nails?
- How many people have psoriasis?
- Is psoriasis curable?
- Is psoriasis contagious?
- Can I transmit the gene for psoriasis to my children?
- What kind of doctor treats psoriasis?
- What is the treatment for psoriasis?
- What creams, lotions, and home remedies are available for psoriasis?
- What oral medications are available for psoriasis?
- What injections or infusions are available for psoriasis?
- What about light therapy for psoriasis?
- Where can I get more information on psoriasis?
- Is there a national psoriasis support group?
- What is my long-term prognosis with psoriasis? What are complications of psoriasis?
In This ArticlePubic Lice (Crabs) Article
- What are pubic lice?
- What do pubic lice look like?
- Where are pubic lice found?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pubic lice?
- How did I get pubic lice?
- How is a pubic lice infestation diagnosed?
- How are pubic lice treated?
In This ArticleRingworm Article
- Ringworm facts
- What does the term ringworm mean?
- Is ringworm contagious?
- What causes ringworm?
- What are the sources of skin fungi?
- What are risk factors for ringworm?
- What types of ringworm are there? What are ringworm symptoms and signs?
- How is ringworm diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for ringworm? Are there home remedies?
- How can ringworm be prevented?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for ringworm?
In This ArticleScabies Article
- Scabies facts
- What is scabies? What causes a scabies infestation?
- How do you get scabies?
- Can you catch scabies from a dog or cat?
- What are risk factors for scabies?
- What does a scabies rash look like? What are scabies symptoms and signs?
- What does scabies feel like?
- How is a scabies infestation diagnosed?
- What are treatment options and home remedies for a scabies infestation?
- Are cases of scabies often misdiagnosed?
- What are possible complications of scabies?
- Can a scabies infestation be prevented?
- In what special situations can scabies be more easily spread?
- What is Norwegian or crusted scabies?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for scabies?
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Men (STDs in Men) Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...learn more »In This ArticleSexually Transmitted Diseases in Men (STDs in Men) Article
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in men facts
- What are STDs and how can their spread be prevented?
- Diseases associated with genital lesions
- Genital herpes
- Lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV)
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Diseases associated with urethritis
- Systemic STDs
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Human herpes virus 8 (HHV-8)
- Ectoparasitic infections
Other Causes of Penile Itching
Examples of Medications for Penile Itching
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.