Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Itching in the area of the penis or external genital organs occurs for many of the same reasons that itching occurs elsewhere on the body. Infections, including sexually transmitted infections, are a primary cause of penile itching. Jock itch, the term used to refer to an inflammation and irritation of the groin area, may spread to the penis and result in itching. Causes include fungal infections, scabies, pubic lice, tight undergarments, allergic reaction, skin friction, bacterial infection, and other conditions. Sometimes, systemic diseases such as chickenpox can spread to the genital areas, resulting in itching.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Wiederkehr, Michael, and Robert A. Schwartz. "Tinea Cruris." eMedicine.com. Dec. 2, 2009. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1091806-overview>.
Causes of Penile Itching
In This ArticleBug Bites and Stings Article
- Bug bites and stings facts*
- Bug bites and stings introduction
- What can I do to keep insects away?
- What's the proper way to use insect repellent?
- What's the best way to remove a bee stinger?
- What should I do if I find a tick on me or my child?
- What can be done for itching and pain from bites and stings?
- When is medical attention needed?
- Where can I find more information on bug bites and stings?
In This ArticleChickenpox (Varicella) Article
- Chickenpox facts
- What is chickenpox? What causes chickenpox?
- How does chickenpox spread?
- What are chickenpox symptoms and signs?
- What are treatment options for chickenpox?
- What are the possible complications of chickenpox?
- Can chickenpox be prevented with a vaccine?
In This ArticleEczema Article
- Eczema facts
- What is eczema?
- Are there different types of eczema? What causes eczema?
- What are eczema symptoms and signs?
- How is eczema diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for eczema?
- What are home remedies for eczema?
- Does diet affect eczema?
- Is there a cure for eczema?
- Is eczema contagious?
- What is the prognosis of eczema?
- Is it possible to prevent eczema?
In This ArticleGenital Warts in Men (HPV Virus) Article
- HPV virus (genital warts ) in men introduction
- Risks of HPV virus in men
- Male HPV: The symptoms
- Tests for HPV virus in men
- Treatments for HPV
- Is there an HPV vaccine for men?
- How to manage HPV in a relationship
- How to prevent transmission of HPV
In This ArticleInsect Sting Allergies Article
- Stinging insect allergy facts
- What are stinging insects?
- Who is at risk for insect sting allergies?
- What types of insect sting reactions occur?
- How is a severe allergic reaction immediately treated?
- How can I avoid insect stings?
- What can I do about becoming immune to insect allergy?
In This ArticleItching Article
- Itch facts
- What is an itch?
- What are associated symptoms and signs of itching?
- What causes itching?
- How is the cause of itching diagnosed?
- Should I scratch the itch?
- What are topical itch treatments? Are there any home remedies for itching?
- What are oral itch treatments?
- Can itching be prevented?
- When should the doctor be consulted for itching?
- What are possible complications of itching?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for itching?
In This ArticleJock Itch Article
- Jock itch facts
- What is jock itch? What does jock itch look like?
- What causes jock itch?
- Who gets jock itch?
- What are jock itch symptoms and signs?
- Does jock itch affect the entire body?
- How is jock itch diagnosed?
- Is jock itch curable? Is jock itch contagious?
- What are possible complications of jock itch?
- What is the treatment for jock itch?
- What home remedy can I use for jock itch?
- What holistic jock itch treatments are available?
- How do I treat fungal jock itch?
- How do I treat bacterial jock itch?
- How is itching from jock itch treated?
- What is the best drug for jock itch?
- Why is my groin still discolored?
- What is the prognosis with jock itch?
- When should I call my doctor about jock itch?
- How do I prevent jock itch?
In This ArticlePoison Ivy Article
- Poison ivy, oak, and sumac facts
- What are poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac?
- What causes a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
- What are risk factors for poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
- What are symptoms and signs of a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
- How do physicians diagnose poison ivy, oak, and sumac rashes?
- What is the treatment for a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
- Are there any home remedies for a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
- What is the prognosis of a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
- Is it possible to prevent a poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash?
In This ArticlePubic Lice (Crabs) Article
- What are pubic lice?
- What do pubic lice look like?
- Where are pubic lice found?
- What are the signs and symptoms of pubic lice?
- How did I get pubic lice?
- How is a pubic lice infestation diagnosed?
- How are pubic lice treated?
In This ArticleSTDs in Men Article
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Who is at risk for STDs?
- What causes STDs?
- What are the signs and symptoms of STDs?
- List of STDs in men
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts (HPV)
- How are STDs diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for STDs?
- What is the prognosis for STDs?
- Can STDs be prevented?
Other Causes of Penile Itching
Examples of Medications for Penile Itching
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Find out what women really need.