"Feb. 11, 2013 -- If you're searching for a new car, a new house, or a new TV, you'll likely compare prices. If you're in the market for a new hip, though, that might not be easy, according to a study published online in JAMA Internal Medicine."...
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
For the relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee(s), the recommended dose is 40 drops per knee, 4 times a day.
Apply PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) to clean, dry skin.
To avoid spillage, dispense PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) 10 drops at a time either directly onto the knee or first into the hand and then onto the knee. Spread PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) evenly around front, back and sides of the knee. Repeat this procedure until 40 drops have been applied and the knee is completely covered with solution.
To treat the other knee, if symptomatic, repeat the procedure.
Application of PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) in an amount exceeding or less than the recommended dose has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.
- Avoid showering/bathing for at least 30 minutes after the application of PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) to the treated knee.
- Wash and dry hands after use.
- Do not apply PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) to open wounds.
- Avoid contact of PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) with eyes and mucous membranes.
- Do not apply external heat and/or occlusive dressings to treated knees.
- Avoid wearing clothing over the PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) -treated knee(s) until the treated knee is dry.
- Protect the treated knee(s) from sunlight.
- Wait until the treated area is dry before applying sunscreen, insect repellant, lotion, moisturizer, cosmetics, or other topical medication to the same knee you have just treated with PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) .
Dosage Forms and Strength
1.5% w/w topical solution
Storage and Handling
PENNSAID (diclofenac sodium topical solution) is supplied as a clear, colorless to faintly pink-orange solution containing 16.05 mg of diclofenac sodium per mL of solution, in a white high density polyethylene bottle with a white low-density dropper cap.
NDC Number & Size
15 mL bottle (physician sample) NDC # 23635-310-11
150 mL bottle NDC # 23635-310-15
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15° to 30°C (59° to 86°F) [See USP Controlled Room Temperature].
Distributed by: Mallinckrodt Brand Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Hazelwood, MO 63042 USA. Manufactured by: Nuvo Manufacturing., Varennes, Quebec, J3X 1P7 Canada. Issued 01/2010
Last reviewed on RxList: 1/24/2011
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional PENNSAID Information
PENNSAID - User Reviews
PENNSAID User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options