"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the first generic versions of Aciphex (rabeprazole sodium) delayed-release tablets, used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in adults and adolescents (ages 12 and up).
Pepcid Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Heartburn Relief, Leader Acid Reducer, Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Pepcid AC Maximum Strength
Generic Name: famotidine (Pronunciation: fam OH ti deen)
- What is famotidine (Pepcid)?
- What are the possible side effects of famotidine (Pepcid)?
- What is the most important information I should know about famotidine (Pepcid)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking famotidine (Pepcid)?
- How should I take famotidine (Pepcid)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Pepcid)?
- What happens if I overdose (Pepcid)?
- What should I avoid while taking famotidine (Pepcid)?
- What other drugs will affect famotidine (Pepcid)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is famotidine (Pepcid)?
Famotidine a histamine-2 blockers. Famotidine works by decreasing the amount of acid the stomach produces.
Famotidine is used to treat and prevent ulcers in the stomach and intestines. It also treats conditions in which the stomach produces too much acid, such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Famotidine also treats gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and other conditions in which acid backs up from the stomach into the esophagus, causing heartburn.
Famotidine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Famotidine 20 mg-MYL
round, yellow, imprinted with M F1
Famotidine 20 mg-PAR
round, yellow, imprinted with C 119
Famotidine 20 mg-TEV
round, beige, imprinted with 93, 896, LOGO 20, 5728
Famotidine 40 mg-MYL
round, green, imprinted with M F2
Famotidine 40 mg-PAR
round, yellow, imprinted with C 120
Famotidine 40 mg-TEV
round, beige, imprinted with 93, 897, TEVA, 5729
Pepcid 20 mg
square, peach, imprinted with PEPCID, MSD 963
Pepcid 40 mg
square, orange, imprinted with PEPCID, MSD 964
What are the possible side effects of famotidine (Pepcid)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using famotidine and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- easy bruising or bleeding;
- fast or pounding heartbeat;
- confusion, hallucinations, seizure;
- numbness or tingly feeling; or
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation;
- dry mouth;
- dizziness, weakness, mood changes;
- headache; or
- muscle cramps, joint pain.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Pepcid (famotidine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about famotidine (Pepcid)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to famotidine or similar medications such as ranitidine (Zantac), cimetidine (Tagamet), or nizatidine (Axid).
Before taking famotidine, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, a history of Long QT syndrome, stomach cancer or other problems, or asthma, COPD, or other breathing problems.
Avoid taking cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), or nizatidine (Axid) while you are taking famotidine, unless your doctor has told you to.
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Famotidine may be only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes changes in diet or lifestyle habits. Follow your doctor's instructions very closely.
Heartburn is often confused with the first symptoms of a heart attack. Seek emergency medical attention if you have chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, and a general ill feeling.
Additional Pepcid Information
- Pepcid Drug Interactions Center: famotidine oral
- Pepcid Side Effects Center
- Pepcid Overview including Precautions
- Pepcid FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Pepcid - User Reviews
Pepcid User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.