"A unique type of poster placed in exam rooms helped reduce unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions for respiratory infections during flu season. The approach could help reduce costs and extend the usefulness of these drugs.
Pfizerpen Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Pfizerpen
Generic Name: penicillin G potassium injection (Pronunciation: pen i SILL in G po TASS ee um)
- What is penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- What are the possible side effects of penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- What is the most important information I should know about penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- How should I use penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Pfizerpen)?
- What happens if I overdose (Pfizerpen)?
- What should I avoid while taking penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- What other drugs will affect penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
Penicillin G potassium is an antibiotic that fights bacteria in your body.
Penicillin G potassium is used to treat many different types of severe infections, including strep and staph infections, diphtheria, meningitis, gonorrhea, and syphilis.
Penicillin G potassium is also used to prevent infections of the heart valves in people with certain heart conditions who need to have dental work or surgery.
Penicillin G potassium may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- swelling, bruising, or irritation where the injection was given;
- headache with nausea, vomiting, and tiredness;
- a red, blistering, peeling skin rash;
- chills, fever, swelling, joint or muscle pain, and confusion;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- seizure (convulsions); or
- uneven heartbeats.
Less serious side effects may include:
- twitching or muscle spasm; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Pfizerpen (penicillin g potassium) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about penicillin G potassium (Pfizerpen)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to penicillin. Tell your doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a cephalosporin antibiotic such as Ceclor, Ceftin, Duricef, Keflex, Lorabid, Omnicef, Spectracef, and others.
Use this medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated. Penicillin G potassium will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
After you have finished your treatment with penicillin G potassium, your doctor may want to do tests to make sure your infection has completely cleared up.
Additional Pfizerpen Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.