"In the largest, most comprehensive, nationwide study to examine the prevalence of allergies from early childhood to old age, scientists from the National Institutes of Health report that allergy prevalence is the same across different regions "...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Phenergan-Codeine Patient Information including If I Miss a Dose
In this Article
- What is codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What are the possible side effects of codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- How should I take codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What should I avoid while taking codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What other drugs will affect codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What happens if I miss a dose (Phenergan-Codeine)?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose (Phenergan-Codeine)?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. An overdose of this medication may be fatal.
Overdose symptoms include dizziness, extreme drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, cold and clammy skin, weak pulse, shallow breathing, fainting, seizure (convulsions), or breathing that stops.
What should I avoid while taking codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.
Drinking alcohol can increase certain side effects of codeine and promethazine.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Codeine and promethazine can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors.
What other drugs will affect codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
Tell your doctor if you regularly use other medicines that make you sleepy (such as cold or allergy medicine, other pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression, or anxiety). They can add to sleepiness caused by codeine and promethazine.
Many drugs can interact with codeine and promethazine. Below is just a partial list. Tell your doctor if you are using:
- sedatives or anxiety medicines such as alprazolam (Xanax), diazepam (Valium), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), temazepam (Restoril), or triazolam (Halcion);
- antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil, Vanatrip, Limbitrol), doxepin (Sinequan), nortriptyline (Pamelor), fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), or paroxetine (Paxil);
- narcotic pain medicines such as meperidine (Demerol), morphine (MS Contin, MSIR), propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet), hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin), oxycodone (Percocet, Percodan), fentanyl (Duragesic), codeine (Fiorinal, Fioricet, Tylenol #3);
- phenobarbital (Luminal), amobarbital (Amytal) or secobarbital (Seconal);
- an MAO inhibitor such as furazolidone (Furoxone), isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), rasagiline (Azilect), selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar), or tranylcypromine (Parnate); or
- atropine (Donnatal, and others), belladonna, clidinium (Quarzan), dicyclomine (Bentyl), glycopyrrolate (Robinul), hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Levsin, and others), methscopolamine (Pamine), and scopolamine (Transderm-Scop).
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with codeine and promethazine. Tell your doctor about all medications you use. This includes prescription, over-the-counter, vitamin, and herbal products. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.
Where can I get more information?
Your pharmacist can provide more information about codeine and promethazine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2013 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 7.01. Revision date: 5/25/2011.
Your use of the content provided in this service indicates that you have read,understood and agree to the End-User License Agreement,which can be accessed by clicking on this link.
Additional Phenergan-Codeine Information
- Phenergan-Codeine Drug Interactions Center: promethazine-codeine oral
- Phenergan-Codeine Side Effects Center
- Phenergan-Codeine Overview including Precautions
- Phenergan-Codeine FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Phenergan-Codeine - User Reviews
Phenergan-Codeine User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.