"March 5, 2013 -- Spring allergy season is again off to an early start in many parts of the country, and doctors say there are some signs it may be even more miserable than usual this year.
Last year was the fourth warmest winter on re"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Phenergan-Codeine Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Codeine Phosphate-Promethazine HCl, Promethazine HCl and Codeine Phosphate, Promethazine with Codeine
Generic Name: codeine and promethazine (Pronunciation: KOE deen and proe METH a zeen)
- What is codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What are the possible side effects of codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What is the most important information I should know about codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- How should I take codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What happens if I overdose (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What should I avoid while taking codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- What other drugs will affect codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
Codeine is a narcotic. It is a pain reliever and a cough suppressant.
Promethazine is an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body.
The combination of codeine and promethazine is used to treat cold or allergy symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, and cough.
Codeine and promethazine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck, tremor (uncontrolled shaking);
- shallow breathing, slow heartbeat;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- confusion, agitation, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- seizure (convulsions);
- urinating less than usual or not at all; or
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, fainting.
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, sleepiness;
- feeling restless, nervous, or anxious;
- blurred vision, ringing in your ears;
- constipation, mild nausea or vomiting;
- warmth, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- increased sweating;
- dry mouth; or
- mild skin rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Phenergan-Codeine (codeine phosphate and promethazine hcl) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about codeine and promethazine (Phenergan-Codeine)?
Tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions before you start taking this medication.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to codeine or promethazine, or if you have asthma or other lung disease.
Codeine and promethazine may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Do not give this medication to a child without medical advice.
Additional Phenergan-Codeine Information
- Phenergan-Codeine Drug Interactions Center: promethazine-codeine oral
- Phenergan-Codeine Side Effects Center
- Phenergan-Codeine Overview including Precautions
- Phenergan-Codeine FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Phenergan-Codeine - User Reviews
Phenergan-Codeine User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.