"Dec. 24, 2012 -- Colorado Springs high school junior Morgan Smith can't remember a time when he didn't have life-threatening food allergies.
The 16-year-old had his first reaction to peanut butter at 9 months of age when he broke out in hiv"...
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Phenergan Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Pentazine, Phenergan
Generic Name: promethazine (oral) (Pronunciation: pro METH a zeen)
- What is oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- What are the possible side effects of oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- What is the most important information I should know about oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- How should I take oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Phenergan)?
- What happens if I overdose (Phenergan)?
- What should I avoid while taking oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- What other drugs will affect oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
Promethazine is in a group of drugs called phenothiazines (FEEN-oh-THYE-a-zeens). It works by changing the actions of chemicals in your brain. Promethazine also acts as an antihistamine. It blocks the effects of the naturally occurring chemical histamine in your body.
Promethazine is used to treat allergy symptoms such as itching, runny nose, sneezing, itchy or watery eyes, hives, and itchy skin rashes.
Promethazine also prevents motion sickness, and treats nausea and vomiting or pain after surgery. It is also used as a sedative or sleep aid.
Promethazine is not for use in treating symptoms of asthma, pneumonia, or other lower respiratory tract infections.
Promethazine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Promethazine 12.5 mg-GLO
round, white, imprinted with C51
Promethazine 12.5 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with ZC 01
Promethazine 12.5 mg-ZYD
round, white, imprinted with ZC 01
Promethazine 25 mg-ESI
round, white, imprinted with 59911 5872
Promethazine 25 mg-GG
round, white, imprinted with GG 225
Promethazine 25 mg-GLO
round, white, imprinted with C52
Promethazine 25 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with Z C 0 2
Promethazine 25 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5307, DAN DAN
Promethazine 50 mg-ESI
round, white, imprinted with 59911, 5873
Promethazine 50 mg-GG
round, pink, imprinted with GG 235
Promethazine 50 mg-GLO
round, white, imprinted with C53
Promethazine 50 mg-MAL
round, white, imprinted with ZC, 03
Promethazine 50 mg-WAT
round, white, imprinted with 5319, DAN
What are the possible side effects of oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using promethazine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- twitching, or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;
- tremor (uncontrolled shaking), drooling, trouble swallowing, problems with balance or walking;
- feeling restless, jittery, or agitated;
- high fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- seizure (convulsions);
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, sore throat, flu symptoms;
- decreased night vision, tunnel vision, watery eyes, increased sensitivity to light;
- hallucinations, agitation;
- nausea and stomach pain, skin rash, and jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, chest pain, vomiting, unusual thoughts or behavior, and patchy skin color; or
- slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, slow breathing (breathing may stop).
Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, anxiety;
- blurred vision, dry mouth, stuffy nose;
- ringing in your ears;
- weight gain, swelling in your hands or feet;
- impotence, trouble having an orgasm; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Phenergan (promethazine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about oral promethazine (Phenergan)?
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have twitching or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs. These could be early signs of dangerous side effects.
Promethazine should not be given to a child younger than 2 years old. Promethazine can cause severe breathing problems or death in a child younger than 2. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions when giving this medicine to a child of any age.
Promethazine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
Avoid drinking alcohol, which can increase some of the side effects of promethazine.
Additional Phenergan Information
- Phenergan Drug Interactions Center: promethazine oral
- Phenergan Side Effects Center
- Phenergan Overview including Precautions
- Phenergan FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Phenergan - User Reviews
Phenergan User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.