"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the VenaSeal closure system (VenaSeal system) to permanently treat varicose veins of the legs by sealing the affected superficial veins using an adhesive agent.
There are two types of vei"...
Application of 59 g of PLIAGLIS Cream over 400 cm² for up to 120 minutes to adults produces peak plasma concentrations of lidocaine of 220 ng/mL. Toxic levels of lidocaine ( > 5000 ng/mL) cause CNS toxicity, including the risk of seizure. Signs of CNS toxicity may start at plasma concentrations of lidocaine as low as 1000 ng/mL, and the risk of seizures generally increases with increasing plasma levels. Very high levels of lidocaine can cause respiratory arrest, coma, decreases in cardiac output, total peripheral resistance and mean arterial pressure, ventricular arrhythmias and cardiac arrest. Tetracaine is associated with a profile of systemic CNS and cardiovascular adverse events similar to lidocaine, although toxicity associated with tetracaine is thought to occur at lower doses compared to lidocaine. The toxicity of co-administered local anesthetics is thought to be at least additive. In the absence of massive topical overdose or oral ingestion, other etiologies for the clinical effects or overdosage from other sources of lidocaine, tetracaine or other local anesthetics should be considered.
- PLIAGLIS Cream is contraindicated in patients with a known history of sensitivity to lidocaine or tetracaine, local anesthetics of the amide or ester type, or to any other component of the product [see WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS].
- PLIAGLIS Cream is contraindicated in patients with para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) hypersensitivity.
Last reviewed on RxList: 12/12/2013
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Pliaglis Information
- Pliaglis Drug Interactions Center: lidocaine-tetracaine top
- Pliaglis Side Effects Center
- Pliaglis FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.