"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Gardasil 9 (Human Papillomavirus 9-valent Vaccine, Recombinant) for the prevention of certain diseases caused by nine types of Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Covering nine HPV types, five more HPV"...
Podocon-25 Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Podocon-25
Generic Name: podophyllum resin (topical) (Pronunciation: pode oh FIL um REZ in)
- What is podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- What are the possible side effects of podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- What is the most important information I should know about podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- What should I discuss with my health care provider before using podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- How should I take podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Podocon-25)?
- What happens if I overdose (Podocon-25)?
- What should I avoid while using podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- What other drugs will affect podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
Podophyllum resin topical is a skin medication made from a powdered mixture of extracts from a plant called Mandrake, or May apple.
Podophyllum resin topical is used to treat genital warts on the outside of the penis or vagina, or on the skin between the rectum and the genitals.
Podophyllum resin topical may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- severe burning, stinging, itching, redness, swelling, or skin changes where the medicine was applied;
- numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling;
- easy bruising or bleeding, weakness;
- fever; or
- severe constipation or stomach cramps.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild bloating, constipation; or
- slight stinging or pain where the medicine was applied.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Podocon-25 (podophyllin) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about podophyllum resin topical (Podocon-25)?
This medication can cause birth defects. Do not use if you are pregnant. Use effective birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to podophyllum resin topical.
You may not be able to use podophyllum resin topical if you have certain conditions. Tell your doctor if you a pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have diabetes, circulation problems, Raynaud's syndrome, or if you use steroid medications.
Do not use podophyllum resin topical in larger amounts or for longer than recommended. Using more of the medication than prescribed will not make it work better, and may increase your risk of unpleasant side effects.
Do not use this medication to treat genital warts inside the rectum, vagina, or penis. Do not apply to bleeding, swollen or irritated skin. Do not use on moles, birthmarks, or any wart your doctor has not instructed you to treat with podophyllum resin.
Avoid getting this medication in your eyes. It can cause severe irritation. If the medication does get in your eyes, rinse with plenty of water and call a doctor right away.
Genital warts are contagious. Avoid having unprotected sex if you have genital warts. Using podophyllum resin will not prevent you from passing genital warts to other people. Talk with your doctor about safe methods of preventing transmission during sex, such as using a condom.
Additional Podocon-25 Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.