How does Poison Ivy work?
Poison ivy is a severe skin irritant that stimulates the immune system. Re-exposure leads to allergic reactions.
Are there safety concerns?
Poison ivy is LIKELY UNSAFE
when taken by mouth or touched. Chemicals in poison ivy can cause an allergic reaction with widespread symptoms. When taken by mouth, poison ivy can cause severe irritation of the mouth, throat, and lining of the stomach and intestines; nausea; vomiting; colic; diarrhea; dizziness; blood in the urine; fever; and coma.
Skin contact can cause redness, swelling, blisters, severe skin destruction, swelling of the eye (cornea), or loss of sight. To prevent poison ivy from causing skin irritation, wash exposed area with water within 5 to 10 minutes of contact. Use soap and water first, then ether or alcohol.
Inhaling smoke from the burning plant can result in fever, lung infection, and death due to swelling of the throat.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
: Poison ivy is LIKELY UNSAFE
to take by mouth or touch. Avoid it.
Dosing considerations for Poison Ivy.
The appropriate dose of poison ivy depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for poison ivy. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.