Poison Ivy (cont.)
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD, is a U.S. board-certified Anatomic Pathologist with subspecialty training in the fields of Experimental and Molecular Pathology. Dr. Stöppler's educational background includes a BA with Highest Distinction from the University of Virginia and an MD from the University of North Carolina. She completed residency training in Anatomic Pathology at Georgetown University followed by subspecialty fellowship training in molecular diagnostics and experimental pathology.
William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR
Dr. Shiel received a Bachelor of Science degree with honors from the University of Notre Dame. There he was involved in research in radiation biology and received the Huisking Scholarship. After graduating from St. Louis University School of Medicine, he completed his Internal Medicine residency and Rheumatology fellowship at the University of California, Irvine. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
In this Article
- Poison ivy, oak, and sumac facts
- What causes the rash? How do I identify poison ivy, oak, and sumac?
- What are the signs and symptoms of the poison ivy rash?
- Is a rash from poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis contagious?
- What are risk factors for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- How is the dermatitis of poison ivy, oak, and sumac diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- What are complications for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) for poison ivy, oak, and sumac dermatitis?
- How can contact with poison ivy, oak, and sumac be prevented?
- What should people do if they are exposed to a poisonous plant?
- Find a local Dermatologist in your town
What should people do if they are exposed to a poisonous plant?
If you think you may have been exposed to poison ivy, wash the skin with cool water as soon as possible. This is often not practical because it must be done immediately to have an effect. After half an hour, however, this is no longer likely to prevent the reaction. As discussed above, washing pets and clothing may also be of limited help. It is important to remove and wash your clothes as well as to wash any gardening equipment, tools, or other items that may have come into contact with the plants.
Stephanides, Steven L., and Chris Moore. "Plant Poisoning, Toxicodendron." eMedicine.com. Aug. 18, 2009. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/817671-overview>.
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.