"Jan. 23, 2013 -- Worrying about what may trigger a migraine attack adds to the discomfort of many people with migraines. But according to a new study from Denmark, much of that worry may be unfounded.
The researchers studied the effect of l"...
Ponstel Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Ponstel
Generic Name: mefenamic acid (Pronunciation: me fe NAM ik)
- What is mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- What are the possible side effects of mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- What is the most important information I should know about mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- How should I take mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Ponstel)?
- What happens if I overdose (Ponstel)?
- What should I avoid while taking mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- What other drugs will affect mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
Mefenamic acid is in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Mefenamic acid works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Mefenamic acid is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by arthritis. It is also used to treat menstrual pain.
Mefenamic acid may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ponstel 250 mg
blue/yellow, imprinted with PD 540, PONSTEL
What are the possible side effects of mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking mefenamic acid and seek medical attention or call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, problems with vision or balance;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- pain, burning, or bleeding when you urinate;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness.
Less serious side effects may include:
- upset stomach, mild heartburn or stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation; bloating, gas;
- dizziness, headache, nervousness;
- skin itching or rash;
- dry mouth;
- increased sweating, runny nose;
- blurred vision; or
- ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Ponstel (mefenamic acid) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about mefenamic acid (Ponstel)?
This medicine can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. Do not use this medicine just before or after having heart bypass surgery (also called coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).
Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.
This medicine can also increase your risk of serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and gastrointestinal effects can occur without warning at any time while you are taking mefenamic acid. Older adults may have an even greater risk of these serious gastrointestinal side effects.
Call your doctor at once if you have symptoms of bleeding in your stomach or intestines. This includes black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
Additional Ponstel Information
- Ponstel Drug Interactions Center: mefenamic acid oral
- Ponstel Side Effects Center
- Ponstel Overview including Precautions
- Ponstel FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Ponstel - User Reviews
Ponstel User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find the secrets to longer life.