Symptom Checker: Symptoms & Signs Index
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Postnasal drip is the accumulation of mucus in the back of the nose and throat, causing the sensation of secretions dripping downward through the back of the nose. Postnasal drip is a common finding with rhinitis, or inflammation of the airways within the nose. Accompanying symptoms can include sore throat, stuffy nose, runny nose, cough, throat clearing, sneezing, and an itching feeling in the nose. If sinus infection is also present, headache and facial tenderness can occur. Severe infections can be associated with fever and chills. Watery eyes, fatigue, poor sense of smell, and puffiness under the eyes can be other symptoms seen with postnasal drip.
Health concern on your mind? Visit the Symptom Checker.
Sheikh, Javed. "Allergic Rhinitis." Medscape.com. Oct. 28, 2013. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/134825-overview>.
Main Article on Postnasal Drip Symptoms and Signs
Postnasal Drip Symptoms and Signs
Examples of Medications for Postnasal Drip Symptoms and Signs
- cetirizine, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives
- desloratadine, Clarinex
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine, Allegra-D
- fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra
- hydroxyzine, Vistaril, Atarax
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, others
- montelukast, Singulair
- triamcinolone acetonide nasal inhaler-spray, Nasacort (discontinued brand in USA); Nasacort AQ
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List
Allergies & Asthma
Improve treatments & prevent attacks.