"Researchers have begun the first definitive, large-scale clinical trial to investigate if a vitamin D supplement helps prevent or delay type 2 diabetes in adults who have prediabetes, who are at high risk for developing type 2. Funded by the N"...
Prandin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Prandin
Generic Name: repaglinide (oral) (Pronunciation: re PAG li nide)
- What is repaglinide (Prandin)?
- What are the possible side effects of repaglinide (Prandin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about repaglinide (Prandin)?
- What should I discuss with my doctor before taking repaglinide (Prandin)?
- How should I take repaglinide (Prandin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Prandin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Prandin)?
- What should I avoid while taking repaglinide (Prandin)?
- What other drugs will affect repaglinide (Prandin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is repaglinide (Prandin)?
Repaglinide is an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels. This medication lowers blood sugar by causing the pancreas to produce insulin.
Repaglinide is used together with diet and exercise to treat type 2 diabetes. Other diabetes medicines are sometimes used in combination with repaglinide if needed.
Repaglinide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Prandin 0.5 mg
round, white, imprinted with LOGO BULL
Prandin 1 mg
round, yellow, imprinted with LOGO BULL
Prandin 2 mg
round, peach, imprinted with LOGO BULL
What are the possible side effects of repaglinide (Prandin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- seizure (convulsions);
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- pale or yellowed skin, dark colored urine, fever, confusion or weakness; or
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash.
Less serious side effects may include:
- runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, cough, cold or flu symptoms;
- diarrhea, nausea;
- back pain, headache;
- blurred vision;
- joint pain; or
- temporary hair loss.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Prandin (repaglinide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about repaglinide (Prandin)?
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to repaglinide, if you have type 1 diabetes, or if you are in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (call your doctor for treatment with insulin). You should not use repaglinide together with gemfibrozil (Lopid) or NPH insulin (such as isophane insulin).
Take care not to let your blood sugar get too low. Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) can occur if you skip a meal, exercise too long, drink alcohol, or are under stress. Symptoms include headache, hunger, weakness, sweating, tremor, irritability, or trouble concentrating. Carry hard candy or glucose tablets with you in case you have low blood sugar. Other sugar sources include orange juice and milk. Be sure your family and close friends know how to help you in an emergency.
Also watch for signs of blood sugar that is too high (hyperglycemia). These symptoms include increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision, and weight loss. Your blood sugar will need to be checked often, and you may need to adjust your repaglinide dose.
Repaglinide is only part of a complete program of treatment that also includes diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely. Changing any of these factors can affect your blood sugar levels.
Additional Prandin Information
- Prandin Drug Interactions Center: repaglinide oral
- Prandin Side Effects Center
- Prandin Overview including Precautions
- Prandin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Prandin - User Reviews
Prandin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.