Pregnancy (What To Buy For Baby) (cont.)
In this Article
- What baby gear do you need for your newborn?
- The nursery
- Crib linens
- Diaper time: what you need for the changing table
- Layette: baby's first clothes
- Bathing baby: what you need
- Washing baby's laundry
- Feeding baby
- The diaper bag
- Other baby essentials
- The baby medicine cabinet
- Baby gear nonessentials (but nice to have)
Washing Baby's Laundry
It is a good idea to wash all clothing and bedding in a detergent safe for babies. Some popular brands are Dreft and Ivory Snow. These products have been tested for their safe use for all skin types, especially infants.
Wash all infant clothing, bedding, and towels, prior to first use.
To remove tough stains (such as spit-up), spot-treat the item with one of these detergents or soak prior to washing.
- 12 nipples and covers
- 1 bottle and nipple brush for cleaning
- Dishwasher basket for bottles and nipples (optional, but makes for easy cleaning)
- Infant formula and measuring cup (if you are not breastfeeding). Use the brand recommended by your child's doctor.
- 12 Burp cloths
- 6 Bibs
- 12 bottles. Even if you are breastfeeding, you should have bottles to use for pumped breast milk.
The Diaper Bag
When buying a diaper bag, pick one that has lots of pockets and places to store individual items. Also, keep in mind that your diaper bag often becomes your purse, so find one large enough to keep your wallet, keys, glasses, cell phone, and other items you need for yourself.
It's a good idea to keep this bag packed with the following items at all times so if you need to leave the house in a hurry -- especially if you have to take baby to the doctor unexpectedly -- you'll be ready:
- 5 to 6 diapers
- Disposable wipes
- Diaper rash cream or ointment
- Pad to lie your baby on top of when changing the diaper
- Plastic bags to wrap dirty diapers in until you can find a trashcan to throw them out
- Change of clothes for baby: Infant onesies, a pair of socks, hat, baby outfit.
- 2 clean bottles and powdered formula (if bottle feeding)
- Burp cloth
- Pacifier (if using)
- Baby toy or rattle
- Sunscreen for babies older than 6 months.
- Baby Tylenol
Learn more about: Tylenol
Next: Other baby essentials
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.