"The woman who received the nation's first transplanted uterus on February 24 at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio had to have the organ removed because of a "sudden complication," the clinic announced today.
The transplant recipient, a 26-"...
HCG HAS NOT BEEN DEMONSTRATED TO BE EFFECTIVE ADJUNCTIVE THERAPY IN THE TREATMENT OF OBESITY. THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT IT INCREASES WEIGHT LOSS BEYOND THAT RESULTING FROM CALORIC RESTRICTION, THAT IT CAUSES A MORE ATTRACTIVE OR “NORMAL” DISTRIBUTION OF FAT, OR THAT IT DECREASES THE HUNGER AND DISCOMFORT ASSOCIATED WITH CALORIERESTRICTED DIETS.
- Prepubertal cryptorchidism not due to anatomical obstruction. In general, HCG is thought to induce testicular descent in situations when descent would have occurred at puberty. HCG thus may help predict whether or not orchiopexy will be needed in the future. Although, in some cases, descent following HCG administration is permanent, in most cases, the response is temporary. Therapy is usually instituted in children between the ages of 4 and 9.
- Selected cases of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism (hypogonadism secondary to a pituitary deficiency) in males.
- Induction of ovulation and pregnancy in the anovulatory, infertile woman in whom the cause of anovulation is secondary and not due to primary ovarian failure, and who has been appropriately pretreated with human menotropins.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
For intramuscular use only. The dosage regimen employed in any particular case will depend upon the indication for the use, the age and weight of the patient, and the physician's preference. The following regimens have been advocated by various authorities:
Prepubertal Cryptorchidism Not Due To Anatomical Obstruction. Therapy Is Usually Instituted In Children Between The Ages Of 4 And 9
- 4000 USP units 3 times weekly for 3 weeks.
- 5000 USP units every second day for 4 injections.
- 15 injections for 500 to 1000 USP units over a period of 6 weeks.
- 500 USP units 3 times weekly for 4 to 6 weeks. If this course of treatment is not successful, another series is begun 1 month later, giving 1000 USP units per injection.
Selected Cases Of Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism In Males
- 500 to 1000 USP units 3 times a week for 3 weeks, followed by the same dose twice a week for 3 weeks.
- 4000 USP units 3 times weekly for 6 to 9 months, following which the dosage may be reduced to 2000 USP units 3 times weekly for an additional 3 months.
Induction of ovulation and pregnancy in the anovulatory, infertile woman in whom the cause of anovulation is secondary and not due to primary ovarian failure and who has been appropriately pretreated with human menotropins. (See prescribing information for menotropins for dosage and administration for that drug product.)
5000 to 10,000 USP units 1 day following the last dose of menotropins. (A dosage of 10,000 USP units is recommended in the labeling for menotropins.)
Directions for Reconstitution
Two-vial package: Withdraw sterile air from lyophilized vial and inject into diluent vial. Remove 1–10 mL from diluent and add to lyophilized vial; agitate gently until powder is completely dissolved in solution.
Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit.
IMPORTANT: USE COMPLETELY AFTER RECONSTITUTION. RECONSTITUTED SOLUTION IS STABLE FOR 60 DAYS WHEN REFRIGERATED.
Two-vial package containing:
1-10 mL lyophilized multiple dose vial containing: 10,000 USP units chorionic gonadotropin per vial, NDC 0052-0315-10.
1-10 mL vial of solvent containing: water for injection with sodium chloride 0.56% and benzyl alcohol 0.9%, NDC 0052-0325-10.
|When reconstituted, each 10 mL vial contains:|
|Chorionic gonadotropin||10,000 USP units|
|Monobasic sodium phosphate||5 mg|
|Dibasic sodium phosphate||4.4 mg|
If required pH adjusted with sodium hydroxide and/or phosphoric acid.
Store at controlled room temperature 15-30°C (59-86°F). Reconstituted solution is stable for 60 days when refrigerated.
PREGNYL® manufactured by: Baxter Oncology GmbH, Halle 33790, Germany. PREGNYL Solvent manufactured by: Baxter Pharmaceutical Solutions LLC, Bloomington, IN 47403, USA. Merck Sharp & Dohme B.V., a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. Manufactured for: Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of MERCK & CO., INC., Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889, USA. Revised: Jan 2015This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/8/2016
Additional Pregnyl Information
Pregnyl - User Reviews
Pregnyl User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Trying to Conceive
Get tips and advances in treatment.