"Dec. 3, 2012 -- Prince William and Catherine Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, are expecting their first baby.
The announcement from St. James's Palace was made earlier than normal because Catherine is in the hospital with an acute form "...
Overdosage with PREPIDIL (dinoprostone cervical gel) Gel may be expressed by uterine hypercontractility and uterine hypertonus. Because of the transient nature of PGE2-induced myometrial hyperstimulation, nonspecific, conservative management was found to be effective in the vast majority of the cases; i.e., maternal position change and administration of oxygen to the mother. β-adrenergic drugs may be used as a treatment of hyperstimulation following the administration of PGE2 for cervical ripening.
Endocervically administered PREPIDIL (dinoprostone cervical gel) Gel is not recommended for the following:
- Patients in whom oxytocic drugs are generally contraindicated or where
prolonged contractions of the uterus are considered inappropriate, such as:
- cases with a history of cesarean section or major uterine surgery
- cases in which cephalopelvic disproportion is present
- cases in which there is a history of difficult labor and/or traumatic delivery
- grand multiparae with six or more previous term pregnancies cases with non-vertex presentation
- cases with hyperactive or hypertonic uterine patterns
- cases of fetal distress where delivery is not imminent
- in obstetric emergencies where the benefit-to-risk ratio for either the fetus or the mother favors surgical intervention
- Patients with hypersensitivity to prostaglandins or constituents of the gel.
- Patients with placenta previa or unexplained vaginal bleeding during this pregnancy.
- Patients for whom vaginal delivery is not indicated, such as vasa previa or active herpes genitalia.
Last reviewed on RxList: 2/26/2010
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional Prepidil Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Parenting and Pregnancy
Get tips for baby and you.