"Nov. 27, 2012 -- Every month, 1,000 more young Americans ages 13 to 24 get an incurable infection that's deadly unless held at bay by daily doses of costly drugs -- and many of them don't even know it.
That infection is HIV, the virus"...
Prezista Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is darunavir (Prezista)?
- What are the possible side effects of darunavir (Prezista)?
- What is the most important information I should know about darunavir (Prezista)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking darunavir (Prezista)?
- How should I take darunavir (Prezista)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Prezista)?
- What happens if I overdose (Prezista)?
- What should I avoid while taking darunavir (Prezista)?
- What other drugs will affect darunavir (Prezista)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking darunavir (Prezista)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to darunavir or ritonavir (Norvir, Kaletra), or if you have severe liver disease.
Some drugs can cause life-threatening side effects if you use them while you are taking darunavir. Do not take darunavir with:
- alfuzosin (Uroxatral);
- cisapride (Propulsid);
- pimozide (Orap);
- lovastatin (Mevacor, Altoprev, Advicor) or simvastatin (Zocor, Simcor, Vytorin, Juvisync);
- rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifater);
- sildenafil (Revatio);
- St. John's wort;
- triazolam (Halcion) or oral midazolam (Versed); or
- ergot medicines such as ergotamine (Ergomar, Cafergot), dihydroergotamine (D.H.E. 45, Migranal Nasal Spray), ergonovine (Ergotrate), or methylergonovine (Methergine).
To make sure darunavir is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- liver disease (especially hepatitis or cirrhosis);
- a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia;
- high cholesterol or triglycerides; or
- if you are allergic to sulfa drugs.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether darunavir will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication. HIV can be passed to your baby if you are not properly treated during pregnancy. Take all of your HIV medicines as directed to control your infection.
Darunavir can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using non hormonal birth control (condom, diaphragm with spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking darunavir.
Women with HIV or AIDS should not breast-feed a baby. Even if your baby is born without HIV, the virus may be passed to the baby in your breast milk.
Darunavir and ritonavir should not be given to a child younger than 3 years old, or a child who weighs less than 22 pounds.
How should I take darunavir (Prezista)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Darunavir must be taken together with another medication called ritonavir (Norvir). Take the medicines together at the same time every day.
Take darunavir tablets with a full glass (8 ounces) of water or milk. Swallow the darunavir tablet whole. Do not break or chew.
Darunavir works best if you take it with food.
Shake the oral suspension (liquid) well just before you measure a dose. Measure the liquid with the oral dosing syringe provided with this medicine. If you did not receive an oral syringe with your medication, ask your pharmacist for one.
Use darunavir regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
While using darunavir, you may need frequent blood tests at your doctor's office.
HIV/AIDS is usually treated with a combination of drugs. Use all medications as directed by your doctor. Read the medication guide or patient instructions provided with each medication. Do not change your doses or medication schedule without your doctor's advice. Every person with HIV or AIDS should remain under the care of a doctor.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Prezista Information
- Prezista Drug Interactions Center: darunavir oral
- Prezista Side Effects Center
- Prezista Overview including Precautions
- Prezista FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Prezista - User Reviews
Prezista User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get breaking medical news.