"A two-year-old child born with HIV infection and treated with antiretroviral drugs beginning in the first days of life no longer has detectable levels of virus using conventional testing despite not taking HIV medication for 10 months, according "...
Prezista Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Prezista
Generic Name: darunavir (Pronunciation: da ROON a veer)
- What is darunavir (Prezista)?
- What are the possible side effects of darunavir (Prezista)?
- What is the most important information I should know about darunavir (Prezista)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking darunavir (Prezista)?
- How should I take darunavir (Prezista)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Prezista)?
- What happens if I overdose (Prezista)?
- What should I avoid while taking darunavir (Prezista)?
- What other drugs will affect darunavir (Prezista)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is darunavir (Prezista)?
Darunavir is a protease (PRO-tee-ayz) inhibitor. Darunavir is an antiviral medication that prevents human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) cells from multiplying in your body.
Darunavir is used to treat HIV, which causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Darunavir is not a cure for HIV or AIDS.
Darunavir may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of darunavir (Prezista)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using darunavir and call your doctor at once if you have:
- the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild;
- signs of a new infection, such as fever or chills, cough, flu symptoms, easy bruising or bleeding;
- increased sweating, tremors in your hands, anxiety, feeling irritable, sleep problems (insomnia);
- diarrhea, unexplained weight loss, menstrual changes, impotence, loss of interest in sex;
- swelling in your neck or throat (enlarged thyroid);
- muscle weakness, tired feeling, joint or muscle pain, feeling short of breath;
- weakness or prickly feeling in your fingers or toes;
- severe lower back pain, loss of bladder or bowel control;
- problems with walking, breathing, speech, swallowing, or eye movement;
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- nausea, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- high blood sugar (increased thirst, increased urination, hunger, dry mouth, fruity breath odor, drowsiness, dry skin, blurred vision); or
- severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Common side effects may include:
- mild nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
- mild skin rash; or
- changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Prezista (darunavir) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about darunavir (Prezista)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to darunavir or ritonavir (Norvir, Kaletra), or if you have severe liver disease.
Darunavir must be taken together with another medication called ritonavir (Norvir). Take the medicines together at the same time every day.
Life-threatening side effects may occur if you take darunavir with alfuzosin, cisapride, pimozide, lovastatin, simvastatin, oral midazolam, triazolam, rifampin, sildenafil (Revatio, for treating pulmonary arterial hypertension), St. John's wort, or an ergot medicine such as Ergomar, Ergotrate, Cafergot, D.H.E. 45, Migranal, Methergine, and others.
Many other drugs can interact with darunavir. This includes prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Give a list of all your medicines to any healthcare provider who treats you.
Additional Prezista Information
- Prezista Drug Interactions Center: darunavir oral
- Prezista Side Effects Center
- Prezista Overview including Precautions
- Prezista FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Prezista - User Reviews
Prezista User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get breaking medical news.