"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved the MemoryShape Breast Implant to increase breast size (augmentation) for use in women at least 22 years old and to rebuild breast tissue (reconstruction) in women of any age. The MemoryShape B"...
Priftin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Priftin
Generic Name: rifapentine (Pronunciation: RIF a PEN teen)
- What is rifapentine (Priftin)?
- What are the possible side effects of rifapentine (Priftin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about rifapentine (Priftin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking rifapentine (Priftin)?
- How should I take rifapentine (Priftin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Priftin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Priftin)?
- What should I avoid while taking rifapentine (Priftin)?
- What other drugs will affect rifapentine (Priftin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is rifapentine (Priftin)?
Rifapentine is an antibiotic. It prevents bacteria from multiplying in your body.
Rifapentine is used together with other antibiotics to treat tuberculosis.
Rifapentine must always be used in combination with other antibiotics.
Rifapentine may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of rifapentine (Priftin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- blood in your urine;
- pale skin, weakness, easy bruising or bleeding; or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms.
Less serious side effects may include:
- red, orange, or brown discoloration of your skin, tears, sweat, saliva, urine, or stools;
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite;
- stomach pain;
- joint pain; or
- mild skin rash or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Priftin (rifapentine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about rifapentine (Priftin)?
You should not take this medication if you are allergic to rifapentine, rifabutin (Mycobutin), or rifampin (Rifadin, Rifater, Rimactane, Rifamate).
Before taking rifapentine, tell your doctor if you have porphyria.
Rifapentine should not be used without other antibiotics. Be sure to take all your medications as prescribed by your doctor.
Take this medication for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared.
Rifapentine can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control (such as a condom, diaphragm, spermicide) to prevent pregnancy while taking rifapentine.
Do not wear dentures or contact lenses while taking rifapentine. This medicine may discolor certain body fluids (including tears and saliva) with a red, orange, or brown color. While this is a harmless side effect, it may permanently stain a pair of contact lenses.
Additional Priftin Information
- Priftin Drug Interactions Center: rifapentine oral
- Priftin Side Effects Center
- Priftin Overview including Precautions
- Priftin FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.