"In 2011, 1,925 malaria cases were reported in the United States, according to data published in a supplement of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "...
Primaquine Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is primaquine ?
- What are the possible side effects of primaquine ?
- What is the most important information I should know about primaquine ?
- Who should not take primaquine ?
- How should I take primaquine ?
- What happens if I miss a dose ?
- What happens if I overdose ?
- What should I avoid while taking primaquine ?
- What other drugs will affect primaquine ?
- Where can I get more information?
Who should not take primaquine ?
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have
- a history of an allergic reaction to previous primaquine therapy,
- glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency,
- rheumatoid arthritis,
- lupus erythematosus, or
- quinacrine (Atabrine) therapy.
You may not be able to take primaquine, or you may require a lower dose or special monitoring during your therapy if you have any of the conditions listed above.
It is not known whether primaquine will harm an unborn baby. Do not take primaquine without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
It is not known how primaquine will affect a nursing baby. Do not take primaquine without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I take primaquine ?
Take primaquine exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
Take each dose with a full glass of water.
Take primaquine with food to lessen stomach upset.
Store primaquine at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Additional Primaquine Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.