Problem Sleepiness (cont.)
In this Article
- Problem sleepiness facts*
- What is problem sleepiness?
- What are the symptoms of problem sleepiness?
- What causes problem sleepiness?
- Sleep-wake cycle
- Inadequate sleep
- Sleep disorders
- Medical conditions/drugs
- Problem sleepiness and adolescents
- Shift work and problem sleepiness
- What treatments and remedies can help for problem sleepiness?
- Find a local Sleep Specialist in your town
Certain medical conditions and drugs, including prescription medications, can also disrupt sleep and cause problem sleepiness. Examples include:
- Chronic illnesses such as asthma, congestive heart failure, rheumatoid arthritis, or any other chronically painful disorder;
- Some medications to treat high blood pressure, some heart medications, and asthma medications such as theophylline;
- Alcohol-Although some people use alcohol to help themselves fall asleep, it causes sleep disruption during the night, which can lead to problem sleepiness during the day. Alcohol is also a sedating drug that can, even in small amounts, make a sleepy person much more sleepy and at greater risk for car crashes and performance problems;
- Caffeine-Whether consumed in coffee, tea, soft drinks, or medications, caffeine makes it harder for many people to fall asleep and stay asleep. Caffeine stays in the body for about 3 to 7 hours, so even when taken earlier in the day it can cause problems with sleep at night; and
- Nicotine from cigarettes or a skin patch is a stimulant and makes it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep.
Viewers share their comments
Problem Sleepiness - Treatment Question: What are the causes of your problem sleepiness and which treatments have you tried?
Problem Sleepiness - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with problem sleepiness.
Problem Sleepiness - Symptoms Question: Describe other symptoms associated with your problem sleepiness.
Problem Sleepiness - Medical Conditions and Drugs Question: Please describe a medical condition or drug that may have caused your problem sleepiness.
Problem Sleepiness - Adolescents Question: Are you a teen or college student with signs of problem sleepiness? Please share your story.
Problem Sleepiness - Shift Work Question: Do you work the late shift or perform shift work? If so, please describe your sleep problems.
Get tips for better sleep.