"A unique type of poster placed in exam rooms helped reduce unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions for respiratory infections during flu season. The approach could help reduce costs and extend the usefulness of these drugs.
(Generic versions may still be available.)
Procan Sr Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Pronestyl
Generic Name: procainamide (injection) (Pronunciation: proe KANE a mide)
- What is procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
- What are the possible side effects of procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
- What is the most important information I should know about procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before receiving procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
- How is procainamide injection given (Procan Sr)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Procan Sr)?
- What happens if I overdose (Procan Sr)?
- What should I avoid while receiving procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
- What other drugs will affect procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
- Where can I find more information?
What is procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
Procainamide affects the way your heart beats.
Procainamide is used to help keep the heart beating normally in people with certain heart rhythm disorders of the ventricles (the lower chambers of the heart that allow blood to flow out of the heart).
Procainamide may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Tell your caregivers at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- a new or a worsening irregular heartbeat pattern;
- chest pain, wheezing, trouble breathing;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, sores in your mouth and throat, unusual weakness;
- depressed mood, hallucinations, severe dizziness;
- upper stomach pain, itching, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle pain or weakness, unusual thoughts or behavior, patchy skin color, red spots.
Less serious side effects may include:
- mild dizziness or tired feeling;
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling); or
- mild itching or rash.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Procan Sr (procainamide) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about procainamide injection (Procan Sr)?
Procainamide is given in a hospital setting. Your heart rate, breathing, blood pressure and other vital signs will be watched closely while you are receiving procainamide.
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to procainamide, or if you have a serious heart condition such as "AV block" (unless you have a pacemaker), lupus, or a history of "Long QT syndrome."
If possible, before you receive procainamide, tell your doctor if you have congestive heart failure, circulation problems, a history of heart attack or stroke (including "mini-stroke"), a weak immune system, kidney or liver disease, myasthenia gravis, asthma, or if you are allergic to aspirin, sulfites, or any type of numbing medicine.
In an emergency situation it may not be possible before you are treated to tell your caregivers about your health conditions or if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Make sure any doctor caring for you afterward knows that you have received this medication.
Procainamide can lower blood cells that help your body fight infections. Tell your doctor if you develop signs of infection such as fever, chills, sore throat, flu symptoms, easy bruising or bleeding (nosebleeds, bleeding gums), loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, sores in your mouth and throat, or unusual weakness.
Additional Procan Sr Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.