"June 24, 2014 -- Scientists say they may be able to explain how ongoing stress raises the risk of having a heart attack.
They say stress triggers our bodies to make a surplus of disease-fighting white blood cells. That in turn can boost inf"...
Procardia XL Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Procardia
Generic Name: nifedipine (Pronunciation: nye FED i peen)
- What is nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- What are the possible side effects of nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- What is the most important information I should know about nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- How should I take nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Procardia XL)?
- What happens if I overdose (Procardia XL)?
- What should I avoid while taking nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- What other drugs will affect nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
Nifedipine is in a group of drugs called calcium channel blockers. It works by relaxing the muscles of your heart and blood vessels.
Nifedipine is used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and angina (chest pain).
Nifedipine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Adalat CC 30 mg
round, pink, imprinted with ADALAT CC, 30
Adalat CC 60 mg
round, pink, imprinted with ADALAT CC, 60
Adalat CC 90 mg
round, brown, imprinted with ADALAT CC, 90
Afeditab 30 mg-WAT
round, brown, imprinted with ELN 30
Afeditab 60 mg-WAT
round, brown, imprinted with ELN 60
Nifediac CC 30 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 30, B
Nifediac CC 60 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with 60, B
Nifedipine 10 mg-PUR
yellow, capsule, imprinted with R497
Nifedipine 20 mg-PUR
capsule, red, imprinted with R 530
Nifedipine 90 mg ER-IVA
round, yellow, imprinted with 90, B
Nifedipine XL 30 mg-MYL
round, pink, imprinted with M 475
Nifedipine XL 30 mg-TEV
round, pink, imprinted with ELN 30
Nifedipine XL 60 mg-MYL
round, pink, imprinted with M482
Nifedipine XL 60 mg-TEV
round, brown, imprinted with 60, B
Nifedipine XL 90 mg-MYL
round, pink, imprinted with M 495
Nifedipine XL 90 mg-TEV
round, yellow, imprinted with B, 90
Procardia 10 mg
capsule, orange, imprinted with PROCARDIA PFIZER 260
Procardia XL 30 mg
round, pink, imprinted with PROCARDIA XL 30
Procardia XL 60 mg
round, pink, imprinted with PROCARDIA XL 60
Procardia XL 90 mg
round, pink, imprinted with PROCARDIA XL 90
What are the possible side effects of nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- worsening angina;
- severe constipation and cramps, severe stomach pain or heartburn, coughing up blood;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- feeling short of breath, swelling in your hands or feet;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- numbness or tingly feeling;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, general ill feeling.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, dizziness;
- drowsiness, tired feeling;
- nausea, diarrhea mild constipation or stomach pain;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- mild rash or itching;
- joint pain, leg cramps;
- warmth, redness, or tingly feeling under your skin; or
- urinating more than usual.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Procardia XL (nifedipine extended release tablets) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about nifedipine (Procardia XL)?
You should not use nifedipine if you are allergic to it.
Before taking nifedipine, tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, a blockage in your digestive tract (stomach or intestines), a history of stomach surgery, coronary artery disease, underactive thyroid, diabetes, or congestive heart failure.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using nifedipine. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
Many drugs can interact with nifedipine. Tell your doctor about all other medications you use.
Do not stop taking nifedipine without first talking to your doctor, even if you feel fine. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
Additional Procardia XL Information
- Procardia XL Drug Interactions Center: nifedipine oral
- Procardia XL Side Effects Center
- Procardia XL Overview including Precautions
- Procardia XL FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Procardia XL - User Reviews
Procardia XL User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Get the latest treatment options.