"The first blood-based colorectal cancer (CRC) screening test, Epi proColon (Epigenomics AG), has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It is already available in Europe and some other countries.
The Epi pr"...
(gadoteridol) Injection, 279.3 mg/mL
NEPHROGENIC SYSTEMIC FIBROSIS
Gadolinium-based contrast agents (GBCAs) increase the risk for NSF among patients with impaired elimination of the drugs. Avoid use of GBCAs in these patients unless the diagnostic information is essential and not available with non-contrasted MRI or other modalities. NSF may result in fatal or debilitating systemic fibrosis affecting the skin, muscle and internal organs.
- The risk for NSF appears highest among patients with:
- chronic, severe kidney disease (GFR < 30 mL/min/1.73m²), or
- acute kidney injury.
- Screen patients for acute kidney injury and other conditions that may reduce renal function. For patients at risk for chronically reduced renal function (e.g. age > 60 years, hypertension or diabetes), estimate the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) through laboratory testing.
- For patients at highest risk for NSF, do not exceed the recommended ProHance dose and allow a sufficient period of time for elimination of the drug from the body prior to readministration (see WARNINGS).
ProHance (Gadoteridol) Injection is a nonionic contrast medium for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), available as a 0.5M sterile clear colorless to slightly yellow aqueous solution in vials and syringes for intravenous injection.
Gadoteridol is the gadolinium complex of 10-(2-hydroxy-propyl)-1,4,7,10- tetraazacyclododecane-1,4,7-triacetic acid with a molecular weight of 558.7, an empirical formula of C17H29N4O7Gd and has the following structural formula:
Each mL of ProHance contains 279.3 mg gadoteridol, 0.23 mg calteridol calcium, 1.21 mg tromethamine and water for injection. ProHance contains no antimicrobial preservative.
ProHance has a pH of 6.5 to 8.0. Pertinent physicochemical data are noted below:
|Osmolality (mOsmol/kg water)|
|@ 37° C||630|
|(cP) @ 20° C||1.3|
|@ 37° C|
|@ 25° C|
|(g/mL) @ 25° C|
|Octanol: H2O coefficient||-3.68 ± 0.02|
ProHance has an osmolality 2.2 times that of plasma (285 mOsmol/kg water) and is hypertonic under conditions of use.
What are the possible side effects of gadoteridol (Prohance)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite;
- swelling, weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- fast, uneven heart rate;
- seizure (convulsions); or
- feeling like you might pass out.
Less serious side effects may...
Last reviewed on RxList: 7/13/2012
This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Additional ProHance Information
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.