"Nov. 4, 2014 -- Twenty-year-old Milton Wright III's life seemed to finally be on track. After a lifetime of interruptions to his education, his football career, and his plans to join the Marines, he found his way. He had launched a modeling caree"...
Side effects following the use of Proleukin® (aldesleukin) appear to be dose-related. Exceeding the recommended dose has been associated with a more rapid onset of expected dose-limiting toxicities. Symptoms which persist after cessation of Proleukin should be monitored and treated supportively. Life-threatening toxicities may be ameliorated by the intravenous administration of dexamethasone, which may also result in loss of the therapeutic effects of Proleukin.12 NOTE: Prior to the use of dexamethasone, the physician should refer to the package insert for this product.
Proleukin® (aldesleukin) is contraindicated in patients with a known history of hypersensitivity to interleukin-2 or any component of the Proleukin formulation.
Proleukin is contraindicated in patients with an abnormal thallium stress test or abnormal pulmonary function tests and those with organ allografts. Retreatment with Proleukin is contraindicated in patients who have experienced the following drug-related toxicities while receiving an earlier course of therapy:
- Sustained ventricular tachycardia ( ≥ 5 beats)
- Cardiac arrhythmias not controlled or unresponsive to management
- Chest pain with ECG changes, consistent with angina or myocardial infarction
- Cardiac tamponade
- Intubation for > 72 hours
- Renal failure requiring dialysis > 72 hours
- Coma or toxic psychosis lasting > 48 hours
- Repetitive or difficult to control seizures
- Bowel ischemia/perforation
- GI bleeding requiring surgery
12. Mier JW, Vachino G, Klempner MS, et al. Inhibition of interleukin-2-induced tumor necrosis factor release by dexamethasone: Prevention of an acquired neutrophil chemotaxis defect and differential suppression of interleukin-2 associated side effects. Blood 1990; 76:1933-40.This monograph has been modified to include the generic and brand name in many instances.
Last reviewed on RxList: 8/8/2012
Additional Proleukin Information
Proleukin - User Reviews
Proleukin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Get the latest treatment options.