"Oct. 6, 2011 -- Cialis has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of enlarged prostate. It may also be used to treat men who have both enlarged prostate and erectile dysfunction (ED) at the same time.
Cialis is the first ED drug t"...
Proscar Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is finasteride (Proscar)?
- What are the possible side effects of finasteride (Proscar)?
- What is the most important information I should know about finasteride (Proscar)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking finasteride (Proscar)?
- How should I take finasteride (Proscar)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Proscar)?
- What happens if I overdose (Proscar)?
- What should I avoid while taking finasteride (Proscar)?
- What other drugs will affect finasteride (Proscar)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking finasteride (Proscar)?
Finasteride should never be taken by a woman or a child. Finasteride can be absorbed through the skin, and women or children should not be permitted to handle finasteride tablets.
To make sure you can safely take finasteride, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- liver disease, or abnormal liver enzyme tests;
- prostate cancer;
- a bladder muscle disorder;
- stricture of your urethra;
- if you are unable to urinate; or
- if you have ever had an allergic reaction to a similar medicine called dutasteride (Avodart).
Although finasteride is not for use by women, this medication can cause birth defects if a woman is exposed to it during pregnancy. Finasteride tablets should not be handled by a woman who is pregnant or who may become pregnant.
If a woman accidentally comes into contact with this medication from a broken or crushed tablet, wash the area with soap and water right away.
How should I take finasteride (Proscar)?
Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take it in larger amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
Finasteride can be taken with or without food. Take the medicine at the same time each day.
To be sure this medication is helping your condition and not causing harmful effects, your blood may need to be tested often. Your doctor will also test your prostate specific antigen (PSA) to check for prostate cancer. Visit your doctor regularly.
Use finasteride regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.
Additional Proscar Information
- Proscar Drug Interactions Center: finasteride oral
- Proscar Side Effects Center
- Proscar Overview including Precautions
- Proscar FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Proscar - User Reviews
Proscar User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.