"What are benzodiazepines, and how do they work?
Benzodiazepines are a class of drugs primarily used for treating anxiety, but they also are effective in treating several other conditions. The exact mechanism of action of benzodiaz"...
Prosom Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Prosom
Generic Name: estazolam (Pronunciation: es TA zoe lam)
- What is estazolam (Prosom)?
- What are the possible side effects of estazolam (Prosom)?
- What is the most important information I should know about estazolam (Prosom)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking estazolam (Prosom)?
- How should I take estazolam (Prosom)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Prosom)?
- What happens if I overdose (Prosom)?
- What should I avoid while taking estazolam (Prosom)?
- What other drugs will affect estazolam (Prosom)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is estazolam (Prosom)?
Estazolam is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). Estazolam affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia).
Estazolam is used to treat insomnia symptoms, such as trouble falling or staying asleep.
Estazolam may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Estazolam 1 mg-IVA
square, white, imprinted with Hourglass Logo 1, 4036
Estazolam 1 mg-TEV
oval, white, imprinted with 93 129
Estazolam 1 mg-WAT
diamond, white, imprinted with WATSON, 744 1
Estazolam 2 mg-IVA
square, pink, imprinted with Hourglass Logo 2, 4037
Estazolam 2 mg-TEV
oval, peach, imprinted with 93 130
Estazolam 2 mg-WAT
diamond, pink, imprinted with WATSON, 745 2
Prosom 2 mg
peanut, peach, imprinted with a UD
What are the possible side effects of estazolam (Prosom)?
Stop using estazolam and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- weak or shallow breathing;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- confusion, slurred speech, unusual thoughts or behavior;
- hallucinations, agitation, aggression;
- thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- problems with urination; or
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects may include:
- daytime drowsiness (or during hours when you are not normally sleeping);
- amnesia or forgetfulness;
- muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination;
- numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling;
- headache, blurred vision, depressed mood;
- feeling nervous, excited, or irritable;
- nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort; or
- dry mouth, increased thirst.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Prosom (estazolam) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about estazolam (Prosom)?
Some people using this medicine have engaged in activity such as driving, eating, or making phone calls and later having no memory of the activity. If this happens to you, stop taking estazolam and talk with your doctor about another treatment for your sleep disorder.
Do not use this medication if you are allergic to estazolam or to other benzodiazepines, such as alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium), lorazepam (Ativan), temazepam (Restoril), or triazolam (Halcion).
Estazolam may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for.Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
Additional Prosom Information
- Prosom Drug Interactions Center: estazolam oral
- Prosom Side Effects Center
- Prosom Overview including Precautions
- Prosom FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Prosom - User Reviews
Prosom User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.