- Prostate problems facts*
- Prostate problems introduction
- What is the prostate?
- What are common prostate problems?
- What is prostate cancer?
- How is prostate cancer diagnosed?
- How is prostate cancer treated?
- What is PSA testing?
- How can you protect yourself against prostate problems?
- Where can I get more information about prostate problems?
- Patient Comments: Prostate Problems - Type
- Patient Comments: Prostate Problems - Signs
- Patient Comments: Prostate Problems - Diagnosis
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Prostate problems facts*
*Prostate problems facts medical author: Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD
- Prostate problems are common in men after age 50.
- The prostate is a gland that is a part of the male reproductive system that wraps around the male urethra near the bladder.
- Common problems are benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), acute and chronic bacterial prostatitis, and chronic prostatitis (non-bacterial).
- Prostate cancer is common in men over 50, especially in African Americans and in men who eat fatty food and/or have a father or brother with prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer is definitively diagnosed by tissue biopsy; initial studies may include a rectal exam, ultrasound, and assessment of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels.
- Treatments for prostate cancer may include surveillance, surgery, radiation therapy, and hormone therapy.
- Many, but not all, doctors believe male patients under the age of 75 should have yearly PSA tests.
- Identifying prostate problems early is a way to reduce future prostate problems; symptoms include frequent urination, blood in urine, painful urination, dribbling urination, inability to urinate, painful ejaculation, and pain in back, hips, thighs, pelvis and/or rectum.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/6/2014
Viewers share their comments
Prostate Problems - Type Question: Do you have an enlarged prostate, prostate cancer, prostatitis, or some other type of prostate problem?
Prostate Problems - Signs Question: What prostate problem signs do you experience?
Prostate Problems - PSA Test Question: Have you had a PSA test as part of the workup for your prostate problem?
- Submit »
Prostate Problems - Diagnosis Question: Please describe your diagnosis experience with prostate problems.
Prostate Problems - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you have for your prostate problem?
- Submit »
Find out what women really need.