"Below is a list of the most popular prescription drugs dispensed in 2011 with links to drug monographs. The list may include the medication brand name and generic name.
Note: This information pertains to U.S. prescriptions only./"...
Prostigmin Patient Information Including Side Effects
Brand Names: Prostigmin Bromide
Generic Name: neostigmine (Pronunciation: nee o STIG meen)
- What is neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- What are the possible side effects of neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- What is the most important information I should know about neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- How should I take neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Prostigmin)?
- What happens if I overdose (Prostigmin)?
- What should I avoid while taking neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- What other drugs will affect neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
- Where can I get more information?
What is neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
Neostigmine affects chemicals in the body that are involved in the communication between nerve impulses and muscle movement.
Neostigmine is used to treat the symptoms of myasthenia gravis.
Neostigmine may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the possible side effects of neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using neostigmine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- extreme muscle weakness;
- slurred speech, vision problems;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- severe stomach cramps or diarrhea;
- trouble breathing, cough with mucus;
- fast or slow heart rate;
- seizure (convulsions); or
- worsening or no improvement in your symptoms of myasthenia gravis.
Less serious side effects may include:
- headache, drowsiness;
- mild nausea, vomiting, gas;
- urinating more than usual;
- cold sweat, warmth or tingly feeling; or
- mild rash or itching.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Read the Prostigmin (neostigmine) Side Effects Center for a complete guide to possible side effects
What is the most important information I should know about neostigmine (Prostigmin)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to neostigmine or pyridostigmine (Mestinon), or if you have a bladder or bowel obstruction, or a serious stomach disorder called peritonitis.
Before taking neostigmine, tell your doctor if you have asthma, kidney disease, slow heartbeats or other heart rhythm disorder, high blood pressure, heart disease, coronary artery disease, an ulcer or other serious stomach disorder, overactive thyroid, or a history of seizures.
The amount and timing of this medicine is extremely important to the success of your treatment. Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about how much medicine to take and when to take it. You may need to take neostigmine at evenly spaced intervals around the clock.
This medication may cause blurred vision or impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results. You may be asked to keep a daily record of when you took each dose and how long the effects lasted. This will help your doctor determine if your dose needs to be adjusted.
If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using neostigmine. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
Additional Prostigmin Information
Prostigmin - User Reviews
Prostigmin User Reviews
Now you can gain knowledge and insight about a drug treatment with Patient Discussions.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Find out what women really need.