Prostin VR Pediatric
"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration yesterday approved Ruconest, the first recombinant C1-Esterase Inhibitor product for the treatment of acute attacks in adult and adolescent patients with hereditary angioedema (HAE).
Prostin VR Pediatric
Prostin VR Pediatric Patient Information including How Should I Take
In this Article
- What is alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What are the possible side effects of alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What is the most important information I should know about alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- How should I use alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What happens if I miss a dose (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What happens if I overdose (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What should I avoid while using alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- What other drugs will affect alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
- Where can I get more information?
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to alprostadil, or if you have:
- sickle cell anemia or the sickle cell anemia trait;
- a tumor of the bone marrow (multiple myeloma);
- a curved or deformed penis;
- penile fibrosis or Peyronie's disease;
- if you have a penile implant; or
- if you have been told you should not have sexual intercourse for health reasons.
To make sure you can safely use alprostadil, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- a history of blood clots;
- heart disease, high blood pressure (hypertension);
- a bleeding or blood-clotting disorder; or
- a disease that could be passed in blood (such as hepatitis or HIV).
Use a condom to prevent transfer of this medication to your sexual partner if she is pregnant or could become pregnant.
Caverject, Caverject Impulse, Edex, or Muse should not be used by women or by anyone under 18 years old.
How should I use alprostadil (Prostin VR Pediatric)?
Your first dose of this medicine will be given in your doctor's office so you can be observed for how well the medication works and if it causes any side effects. You will then be shown how to properly give the medication to yourself. Wait at least 1 day after your first dose before using the medicine again.
Use exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Using too much alprostadil can be very dangerous.
Alprostadil is used only when needed to get an erection. An erection should occur within 5 to 20 minutes after you use the medication, and should last for 30 to 60 minutes. The length of time your erection lasts may be slightly different.
The injectable form of alprostadil is injected into the side of the penis.
The transurethral pellet is a very small suppository that is inserted into the opening of the penis (the urethra).
Do not use more than 2 alprostadil pellets in one day (24 hours). Do not use more than 3 alprostadil injections per week. Allow at least 24 hours to pass between injections.
Alprostadil comes with patient instructions for safe and effective use. Follow these directions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Alprostadil injectable is a powder medicine that comes with a sterile liquid for mixing it. Caverject Impulse is a brand of alprostadil injectable supplied as a needle and syringe that contains both the powder medicine and the sterile liquid. The dose is automatically mixed when you turn a dial on the end of the syringe. The Caverject Impulse syringe is designed for only one use. Carefully follow the instructions provided with this product.
Use a disposable needle only once. Throw away used needles in a puncture-proof container (ask your pharmacist where you can get one and how to dispose of it). Keep this container out of the reach of children and pets.
Prepare your alprostadil dose only when you are ready to use the medicine. Do not shake the mixed medicine. After mixing, the medication should be clear. Do not use the medication if it looks cloudy or has particles in it. Call your doctor for a new prescription.
Do not give yourself an alprostadil injection or pellet if you do not understand the instructions for proper use. Call your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist for help with injection instructions. Using an alprostadil transurethral pellet improperly could cause damage to your urethra.
The Caverject Impulse device uses a very thin needle, which could break easily. If the needle breaks during injection and you can see and grasp the broken end, remove it and contact your doctor. If you cannot remove the broken end, call your doctor right away.
An alprostadil injection can cause bleeding where the needle is placed. This can make it easier for your sexual partner to be exposed to your blood. Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have a virus such as hepatitis or HIV, which can be passed to another person who comes into contact with your blood.
To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects, your penis may need to be examined every 3 months. Visit your doctor regularly.
Storing this medicine:
- Keep each urethral pellet in its original foil pouch until you are ready to use it. Store the foil pouches in the refrigerator. You may store the pouches at room temperature for up to 14 days.
- Store alprostadil injectable at room temperature. The 40 microgram strength of unmixed alprostadil can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 months, or until the expiration date on the label, whichever happens first.
- Do not expose alprostadil products to freezing or very hot temperatures. Do not store your medication in a closed automobile, or pack it into luggage that will be placed into a cargo area during travel.
Additional Prostin VR Pediatric Information
- Prostin VR Pediatric Drug Interactions Center: alprostadil inj
- Prostin VR Pediatric Side Effects Center
- Prostin VR Pediatric FDA Approved Prescribing Information including Dosage
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
Find out what women really need.